The wide window 2

Can't be

Can't be. When you lose someone important to you, "it can't be" are often the words that run through your saddened head. It can't be that I've lost someone so important. It can't be that I will never see them again. It can't be, it can't be... it can't be. My name is Lemony Snicket, with my associate Emily Alexander and it is our job to report the history of the Baudelaire orphans and Katrina Nadia Jewels but it can't be that you have nothing better to do. The Baudelaires and Nadia believed, incorrectly, that they would never see their Aunt Josephine again, but it can't be that you are interested in watching them suffer as her last words echo again and again throughout her empty and doomed house. It can't be.

Violet took the card that Mr Poe had given her, and she read the last paragraph of the note. She picked up the telephone and read the note.

"As my last will and testament, I leave you three in the care of, a kind and honorable men. Please think of me kindly even though I'd done this terrible thing." Violet read out loud to the person on the phone. " She said with fake cheer in her voice. 'Yes, yes. I understand. I'll tell them. Of course, I'll tell them. I promise I'll tell them. Goodbye."

Violet looked at the others in disappointment and said gloomily, " Mr Poe says we can always rely on Mulctuary Money Management."

"I just can't believe it," Klaus said, turning the paper around for the umpteenth time.

"It's all there in ink and shaky handwriting. Aunt Josephine is dead and she's left us in the care of Count Olaf." Violet said distressed, causing Nadia to put her hand on her shoulder as a sign of comfort.

Klaus had to lean forward to read Josephine's note. "There's something funny about this note, but I can't put my finger on it." 

"How can you say such a thing?" Violet asked. "Aunt Josephine has thrown herself out of the window. There's nothing funny about it at all." 

"Not funny as in a funny joke. Funny as in a funny... smell."Klaus trailed as Nadia raised her eyebrows curiously. "Let me show you." Klaus headed towards the library and there was a small lamp on the nightstand. Violet and Nadia exchanged a perplexed look with each other and followed.

"In the very first sentence, she says, "My life will be at its end."

"And now it is," Violet said, shuddering.

"That's not what I mean," Klaus said impatiently. "She uses it's, I-T apostrophe-S, which always means 'it is.' But you wouldn't say 'my life will be at it is an end.' She means I-T-S,' belonging to it.'" 

"Who cares about grammatical errors," Violet asked, "when Aunt Josephine has jumped out the window?"

"But Aunt Josephine would have cared," Klaus pointed out. "That's what she cared about most: grammar. Remember, she said it was the greatest joy in life."

"Well, it wasn't enough," Violet said sadly. "No matter how much she liked grammar, it says she found her life unbearable."

"But that's another error in the note," Klaus said. "It doesn't say unbearable, with a U. It says inbearable, with an I."