A Dreadful Discovery 2

"Explain," Nadia said coldly looking straight at her father. Her father gulped nervously. 

"Why were there so many photos of children?" Nadia asked. "The Baudelaires and even me," She said emphasized 'me'.

"It's hard to explain, Nadia," Her father said. Nadia scoffed and rolled her eyes. "Look," Her father held her hand. "Did you honestly believe that meeting with the Baudelaires with almost all of their guardians was a coincidence?" Nadia looked at her father with an angry look on her face. She grabbed her hand back, ignoring her father's hurt look.

"Nadia," Her father said pleadingly. "Look, I promise I will tell you everything about V.F.D."

"So that's what the secret organization is called?" The brunette seethed. "If you had given me this information I could have helped the Baudelaires ages ago!"

"I-" Her father started but Nadia interrupted him. "So indirectly you are also the cause of their suffering father!" Her father's face paled and before anyone could say anything, Jacquelyn Sciezka burst out. " We need to get going now!"

------------

Jacquelyn led them to a motorcycle and Larry the Waiter was already sitting on the motorcycle. It was more of a sidecar. It was black and was shining quite brightly as if someone had recently cleaned it.

"We need to get going," Jacquelyn muttered as she put on her helmet. 

"Are the Baudelaires in trouble?" Nadia asked worriedly. 

"Yes they are in huge trouble," Larry the waiter replied. He seemed to be trying very hard to have a calm composure but Nadia could see him, shaking a bit. 

Jacquelyn put a helmet on Nadia's head. "Wait, wait!" Her father said disapprovingly. "You are not taking her."

"Why not?" Nadia seethed. Her anger from the last conversation flared up again.

"It's - well- dangerous." Her father said as the brunette scoffed. 

"So it wasn't dangerous to leave your own daughter before in the hands of a villain, but now that she knows a little about what's going on, it is?" Nadia argued and she climbed on the motorcycle.  Her father stared speechless, unable to make a valid argument. He watched in silence as they drove off.

This was definitely not good.

--------

"It's a motorcycle." Isadora Quagmire observed. After being freed from the red herring, the poet Quagmire was a bit happy. But the happiness disappeared when she realized that her friends were labelled as murders and they had to save their lives. She was worried more of Count Olaf's men had come. But to her surprise Klaus exclaimed. "It's Jacquelyn,"

"And Larry the Waiter," Violet added.

"And Nadia," Duncan pointed out. 

The children watched in amazement, as Nadia, Larry and Jacquelyn stepped onto the fountain confronting the mob.

There's a term to describe the arrival of someone helpful when you least expect it. The term comes from very old plays. Near the end of the play when things seem especially dire, a powerful authority figure arrives on a mechanical device to save the day. For this reason, the term for such an occurrence is "the god from the machine," or in the original Latin, "Deus ex machine."

"Is that my secretary? Jacquelyn, what are you doing here?" Mr Poe asked.

"I could ask you the same question. All of you. Where's your conscience? Where's your sense of decency? This town should be ashamed of itself." Jacquelyn asked the mob.