Chapter 45

Mike went over to Meryl at the bathroom door, holding out his arm to her. "May I escort you?"

"Please." Meryl nodded with tears already present in her eyes as Mike walked her to the bed and she sat down next to Don. "Hey there, handsome."

"Hi, beautiful, these are for you." Don smiled with as he handed her the flowers. "Ready to do this?"

Meryl nodded as he wiped away her tears. "My whole life. Let's do it!"

"You heard the pretty lady." Don smiled as he nodded at Maggie to put the babies on his and Meryl's laps. "Yeah, we want them with us until they try to crawl off the bed."

Meryl pointed to the television screen mounted on the wall across from the bed. "And our other babies."

"We're glad you guys can be here." Don said as he and Meryl blew kisses to the television screen and their children, as the kids did the same thing. "I'm not sure about M's stamina, or mine, so let's get started."

Larry nodded as he stepped closer to the bed as he heard his daughter speak. "Daddy, Hen and I do have to put Lily down at some point tonight. So don't make it too long."

"Hush, child." Larry looked at Stacey's phone and winked at his daughter. "I teased Don that I would just use my remarks from all the other times he and Meryl got married. However, this isn't like all the other times." Larry said clearing his throat as he saw his mother and father grab the babies when they were getting fidgety. "Several days ago, I received a phone call from Meryl I will never forget. None of us will ever forget. I don't want to focus on the phone call. I want to focus on what came from that phone call. I saw a woman determined to do ANYTHING to get her husband back. She wouldn't rest. She wouldn't eat. She wouldn't do anything until he was back with his family, safe and sound. She even went head to head with a woman who has threatened her over and over. It reminded me of a similar scene over 30 years ago. Of when my best friend thought he lost his wife and son, and unborn son. He walked down damn near every block in Manhattan and Brooklyn and the Bronx. He wouldn't shower. He wouldn't sleep. He went toe to toe with several men who tried to kill him just to get his family back. That is love. That is what marriage is about. I don't need to tell you two that, you know it, you live it. You two are partners in every sense of the word. When most people get married, they do it for the wedding. Not really thinking about the long haul. Not Don and Meryl. That isn't even what it was in the beginning. I know many people think they rushed into the marriage, but they didn't. They knew they were the perfect fit, even with their opposites, and they still are. I remember a call I received from Meryl 35 years ago, which was much like the call I received the other night. Don had been mugged. I hadn't met you face to face yet, M, but in that phone call I knew you were the one. Even though Don had been telling me that for months." Larry said as everyone laughed and wiped away their tears. "What I'm saying, is it doesn't matter why this wedding is taking place, what matters is the strength of your love and commitment to each other. A love and commitment that has been there since you two met in that little screening room. A love and commitment that will go up against ANYONE who tries to hurt the one you love. A love and commitment that is an inspiration to so many people. A love that goes way beyond a damn piece of paper. We aren't all here tonight just to make sure this is legal, we are here tonight to celebrate a love that has been an inspiration in and has transformed all of our lives. I don't need to stand up here and tell you what marriage is like, what you need to prepare for, you know and you are the best there is at it. So, I will stop my talking and let you two do the talking. Since there will be a more formal wedding later, as you say your vows, I invite you to exchange rings."

Don smiled as he took his ring off his finger and gave it to his wife, and smiled as she took off her many wedding rings to give him hers, and immediately put her other rings on. "Ladies first."