Chapter 25

"Baby?" Don asked as she knelt down in front of him. "What is this all about?"

Meryl winked at him as she reached into the pocket of her dress for a small box. "I have something I would like to ask you."

"Are you ok..." Don stopped when he saw a box in her hand and positioned herself on one knee and took his left hand in hers. "Baby?"

"Let me get this out, okay? There's a reason why women don't usually do this." Meryl choked. "Donald Gummer, when I walked into that screening room all those years ago and I saw this gorgeous man with black curly hair, I think my heart stopped. I hadn't even met you yet, but I immediately felt a connection. You taught me how to live again, how to live and you were the reason I started breathing again. You ARE the reason I draw breath each and every day. You are my center. You are my home. You are me, and I am you. I can't even BEGIN to tell you how much you mean to me, and how much this amazing life and family we have created together means to me." Meryl kept going as Don wiped away her tears. "If I am having a bad dream and reach out for you, I immediately know everything is going to be okay because I am reminded that you are right next to me. However, two nights ago my worse nightmare came true, and I...I....I couldn't reach out for you."

Don didn't even bother the tears that welled up in his eyes. "Baby..."

"I was terrified that you were being hurt and it was all my fault. I know, I know, it's not." Meryl said before he could say it, making him smile and nod. "I would do ANYTHING to make sure you were able to breathe and love, just as you did for me. So, I had to do something I never in a MILLION years thought I would do. I was terrified at how you would react, afraid I let you down. But you, my love, surprised me as usual. You treated me with such love and tenderness."

Don shook his head thinking about his reaction when he first heard what she had to do. "I was awful..."

"Not once you understood, you were shocked, baby. Of course, you were." Meryl whispered. "I saw your bare left ring finger and my breath left me. For several hours, I experienced a world without you in it and that is a world I want NO part of. Yes, we have our own lives separate from each other; but together, together we are a force to be reckoned with. There is NOTHING we can't tackle together. You are a part of me, and always will be. Which is why I can't let that finger be bare anymore. I can't let any single women think you're available. You, are my heart."

"And you're mine." Don's eyes got big when he saw her open the box in her hand and saw a gold band. "Darl..."

Meryl was blinking past her tears as she showed him the ring. "I know it's not your ring. Unfortunately, it's not part of mine. But...I did design it, I have learned a thing or two from the love of my life who is a brilliant artist." Meryl said as he smirked at her. "I had it engraved with an eternity knot with our initials on the inside of the knot. And, I know it's not engraved on the inside, but the outside. I know how you like to run your left thumb on the underside of your ring finger and across your band, so when you do, that is if you say yes after I ask you something, then you will feel that knot and our initials and know that we will ALWAYS be connected. No matter what anyone says or tries to do."

"It's beautiful. It's perfect." Don choked, waiting for her to put it on him. "Just like the love of my life."

"This is going well so far." Meryl winked at him as she took a deep breath. "Donald William Gummer, will you do me the amazing honor of marrying me...again? I know the divorce was a huge surprise, and I can't bear for that to go on any longer. I know it's just a piece of paper, and I would do it again to save you. But, I want you to wear this ring. I want us to legally be married again...will you..."

Don patted his lap and helped her sit on it, as soon as she was close enough he cupped the back of her head in his hand and slanted his lips over hers. He moaned as he immediately felt her mouth open and her tongue sweep against his. Don's hands were wild in her hair as the kisses were leaving them breathless. "I love you, I love you, I love you."