Chapter 1

The next week after Carl Raymore was sent to jail, was a relaxing and laid back one for Don and Meryl. Dr. Abbott still hadn't released them, so they enjoyed time with each other and the babies. The kids had been checking on them but also wanted to give them space. Louisa was actually home for the week for Spring Break and was interviewing for internships. She was mainly staying with Grace and Mamie. As much as Don and Meryl wanted her to stay with them, they knew she was having a great time with her sisters. All was going well...until Jane sent the kids a text.

***

Grace, Mamie, and Louisa were at Henry and Suzie's having brunch with Henry and Lily. Suzie was out securing some business for her catering company so it was just the Gummer siblings and Lily. Louisa looked at her brother and smiled. "It was pretty nice of Suzie to make brunch for us."

"Lily is sure enjoying it." Mamie laughed at her niece who was devouring the egg casserole. "She eats just like a Gummer."

Henry knew Mamie didn't mean anything by it, but he was still sensitive to those kinds of comments. "She is a Gummer."

"Through and through." Grace said giving their sister a look, trying to smooth the seas. "Look at her go."

Louisa thought she would change the subject. "So Gummer sibs...what's on the agenda for today?"

"Well...." Henry began to say when all of their phones dinged. "Group text?"

Mamie nodded as she reached for her phone. "Mom and Dad?"

"Nope." Grace shook her head as she read it aloud. "Hi kids. I just wanted to text and say how sad your Grandpa Brad and I are about your parents, and how much your mother has hurt your father. At least he will have plenty of years to put his life back together and find love again. It won't be easy with raising twins on his own, but if anyone can do it then I know he can. Your mother, only thinking of herself. Well, at least she finally left. I hope you kids will rally around your father and support him. Who knows if any of you will hear from her again."

Louisa shook her head as they all read the text from their Grandma Jane. "Wait. This is bullshit."

"I don't know..." Henry ran his fingers through his hair. "I don't think it is."

Mamie nodded. "Why would grandmother just text us this?"

"Are you kidding me?" Louisa exclaimed. "It's because she HATES Mom. Of course, she would do something like this. She would do ANYTHING to run Mom away. She hasn't succeeded in trying to get in between her and Daddy, so she is using us."

Grace was thinking this through. "She hasn't used us in the past."

"Any time she has hurt Mama and Daddy she has hurt us." Louisa pointed out. "Like that time on New Years a few years ago when she sent Mama to the hospital with that awful blood pressure episode, she tried to play me against them. It was so bad that Daddy didn't even want me to be in the same apartment as her, and wanted her out of there as soon as possible. This is EXACTLY something grandmother would do."

Henry shook his head. "This would explain why we have only been getting one-word answers through texts from them for the last few days."

"We need to get to Daddy." Grace jumped up. "We need to make sure he knows we are there for them."

Henry nodded. "I'll grab the car since it has Lily's seat."

"Wait!" Louisa shook her head. "What about Mom?"

Mamie shook her head. "Mom has obviously changed and is only thinking about herself."

"You guys are wrong." Louisa shook her head. "You all are just going to burst in there and assume this really happened. You aren't going to give Mom the benefit of the doubt?"