Chapter 14

"Mr. Gummer." The doctor said walking in. "I have your test results."

Larry could see the concerned look on Meryl's face and patted Don's shoulder. "You know what, we are going to step out. Set up the guards and everything."

"Yeah." Mike said kissing Meryl's cheek. "Honey, we will be out in the waiting room if you need us."

Meryl grabbed Mike's hand before he walked away. "You two don't need to leave, I know I speak for Don when I say that."

"Absolutely." Don said strongly. "You BOTH are family."

Larry smiled at his brother from another mother. "We want to set this up. M, we are just next door if you need us."

"Thank you." Meryl took a deep breath as she stood next to Don's hospital bed, holding his hand in hers. "Dr. Roberts, what's going on with Don?"

Dr. Roberts motioned for Meryl to sit down on the bed next to Don, as he pulled up the stool. "Mr. Gummer, considering what you have been through, you are incredibly lucky."

"I know I am." Don said kissing his wife's hand, winking at her making her blush. After what happened with his parents only moments earlier, he wanted to make sure she knew that was exactly how he felt. "But what about my tests?"

Meryl couldn't help but shake her head at him. "Broken bones? His lungs?"

"As I said, you are incredibly lucky you weren't hurt any worse, but it's bad enough." The doctor began as he saw the look on Meryl's face. "You were drugged, severely, but thankfully you won't have any lasting effects. You have bruises and cuts over your whole body, which I know you know, and we will get those cuts treated. You have a mild concussion. Your body was in shock, and still is, and we want to get that body temperature up. Your lungs do have some infection, but we can treat that with medications."

Meryl blinked past her tears when she thought about everything her husband was going through. "Any brain damage?"

"No, ma'am." The doctor said as he saw the relief in Meryl's eyes. "As I know you know, concussions are a type of brain trauma, but it won't cause permanent damage. It is mild so that is good."

Don gave Meryl his trademark smile hoping to cheer her up. "So, I can be released."

"Sweetheart, as thrilled as I am that you weren't hurt any worse than you are." Meryl began. "It doesn't sound like you are in any shape to be discharged, unfortunately."

The doctor nodded his head in agreement with what Meryl said. "That's right. We need to get your body temperature up. Your body is in shock. You don't have any business out of this hospital."

"Dr. Roberts, I feel like my husband would be safer out of the hospital." Meryl began. "Don's health isn't as important to anyone else as it is to me, and I will do whatever I can to help him. He is most important right now. However, the madmen who did this to him are still out there. They could get to him here. Where we are staying is flanked with security. I will get him all the medical care he needs, but I feel like I and our family could lose him again if he were to stay here."

Don strengthened his hold on Meryl, knowing that she wasn't just talking about what happened that evening. She was awful thinking of the many times Raymore got to them in the hospital. "I also feel like my wife isn't safe up here with me, and my children wouldn't be when they come up here. Is there anything you would do for me here at the hospital, that couldn't be done at our family home we are staying at?"

"No, there isn't, and I hear what you both are saying." The doctor agreed. "The safety of our patients is our number one priority, and I can see where keeping you here wouldn't necessarily keep you safe."