Chapter 27

Meryl felt like she was running on fumes. After the altercation with Topper, she felt like she never really did fall into a restful sleep. She just couldn't put it out of her mind. As she held her husband while he slept, she kept thinking of what his family did to him over the years and it would upset her all over again. She laid there awake most of the night trying to think of a way to fix all of this for Don, and she came up with nothing. All she knew to do was love him and create a safe and happy home for him, which she knew she would do until the day she died. Whenever she wasn't lying awake worrying about her husband and holding him, she was waking him up and making sure he was okay, giving him his medicine. She was exhausted, but she was taking care of her husband and children and she wouldn't have it any other way.

***

Since it was Sunday, Maggie made brunch for her and Mike as well as Don and Meryl of course. Liz and Larry had gone over to Liz's parents for brunch since they were in town. Liz wasn't as close to her parents as Larry was to his, and she was to his, but they always stayed in touch and made time to see them while they were in town. Don was glad that Meryl had let him out of bed and into the den. Maggie thought it would be fun and relaxing to have brunch in the den that way they babies could play on their blankets while the adults sat on the couch. Meryl had insisted sitting on the floor, up against the couch Don was reclining on, so she could watch the babies. Maggie could tell that Meryl seemed miles away, and she knew it was because of what happened the night before, so she tried to keep things upbeat. "Those two are going to crawl any day."

"Don't say that." Don laughed as he reached down to rub Meryl's shoulder. "We're not ready for that are we, baby?"

Mike noticed Meryl didn't answer, so he tried to keep the conversation going. "I think they still have a little bit. I say let them stay babies for as long as possible."

"You sound like my wife. That's what you say all the time, baby." Don tapped Meryl's shoulder and noticed she didn't respond. "Darl, what's wrong?" She still hadn't said anything and Don carefully tried to turn her towards him. "Meryl, baby, talk to me."

Meryl had come out of her trance and noticed that everyone was just staring at her, and she looked up at Don whose face was etched with extreme concern. "Huh? I'm sorry. Were you saying something?"

"Darl, you were a million miles away. What's wrong?" Don asked as he saw tears well up in her eyes, but he could tell she was trying to hold them back. "Okay, Meryl, you are scaring me. What's wrong?"

Mike saw the look Meryl gave him and he knew she was going to tell Don about what happened with his brother the night before. "Honey, I think these babies might like baths. It's been a few days."

"Do you mind?" Maggie looked at Don and Meryl. "We had so much fun bathing them the other night."

Don shook his head. "Thank you."

"Of course you can, thank you so much." Meryl said as she sat up on the couch beside Don after Mike and Maggie picked up the babies. "We'll be here if you need us."

As soon as Mike and Maggie had left the room with the babies, Don turned Meryl's head to face him. "Okay baby, you are scaring the shit out of me. Are you okay? We talked to the kids earlier and they were all fine. The babies are fine. Lily is fine. But you are so distant. You have been all morning. Please, talk to me."

"Our family is all fine, and I am not sick or anything, sweetheart." Meryl told him. "I just have a lot on my mind."

Don knew that, of course, she would have lots on her mind, but it was much more than that. He wanted her to share with him as he always shared with her. "I'd like to share that load with you, baby."