Chapter 33

"Baby?" Meryl asked Don the next morning after breakfast as they were changing the babies and getting them dressed for the day. "Do you think that Mike is okay?"

Don looked up after he got Mags dressed and was a little surprised. "Of course. Why do you ask?"

"He just looked kind of pale." Meryl said worriedly. "He didn't seem like himself."

Don thought back to breakfast. "He and Larry have that call with Jane's and the Grays' lawyer here in a little bit. I just think he is preoccupied."

"I'm sure you are right, you would know." Meryl winked at her husband. The last thing she wanted was to worry him about her concern for Mike. "Are you still going to be on the call?"

Don nodded his head vehemently. "I want to know what kind of crap they are going to try to pull. That is the only way I can keep you and our family safe."

"You keep our family safe no matter what, no matter when and no matter who. You ALWAYS have, and I know you always will." Meryl said as they laid both babies down on the bed so they could make faces at them and play with. "Baby, I know you said that I didn't need to be in the room, but..."

Don shook his head at her as he tucked her hair behind her ear. "Darl, the last thing I want is to be one of those husbands who tells his wife what she can and can't do, but..."

"That isn't you." Meryl assured him with a kiss to his lips. "It never could be. Never, baby."

Don took a deep breath as he continued. "We are in this every step of the way, together. However, I want you with the babies and Mags and Lizzie during this. I will tell you everything. But there is no reason for you to be exposed to their lies and bull shit."

"But you are." Meryl pointed out as she choked on tears. "I am why this..."

Don grabbed her head in his hands. "NO, baby, it is NOT. They are fucking certifiable. Please, let me protect you from this."

"Okay." Meryl finally conceded. She wanted to be there for him, but she could tell in his eyes how important it was to him to shield her. "You know where I will be if you need me."

Don nodded with a tender kiss to her forehead. "Always."

***

Don got caught up on a call from the kids and made his way into Mike's office as quickly as he could, which wasn't very quick at all. He immediately heard Mike yelling. "Really, Devereaux. You really think that is going to fucking happen?"

"Larry?" Don whispered. "How long has he been on the call? I'm sorry, I didn't realize I was that late."

Larry shook his head as he helped Don sit down. "You're not. It just started. It sounds like Devereaux wants a plea deal."

"Your clients admitted to everything." Mike looked at Don and switched the phone to speakerphone. "Just why do you think we would any of them off with community service and a fucking fine? We are talking blackmail and attempted murder here."

Don looked at Larry and whispered to him so hopefully, Devereaux didn't hear him. "No jail time? How am I supposed to keep my family safe?"

"It's not going to happen, bud." Larry tried to calm his best friend down. "Dad won't let it happen."

Mike was pacing back and forth. "This is an insult. They abducted, drugged, beat, and tried to kill a man that has done NOTHING to them. Yes, Stacey Gray Blake accused him of rape 50 YEARS AGO. She admitted that she made up those charges and it NEVER happened. She tried to ruin Don's life, but they are still blaming him? He did NOTHING to his mother."