Chapter 13

Meryl didn't want to let her husband go. She was afraid that if she did, then he would disappear again. She sighed as she looked at the time. "Baby, as much as I love holding you and am so happy to have you holding me, I feel like we should get a doctor to check you out."

"Yeah, you're right." Don sighed. "I want us to get out of here."

Meryl nodded as she turned so she could carefully run her fingers through his hair as she looked at all the cuts and bruises on his face. "My God, I can't believe someone would do this to you all because of me. All because your mother doesn't want me in your..."

"I don't care what the fuck she wants. She is NOT taking you away from me, or me away from you or our family. Whoever did this is fucking sick. So is she." Don carefully moved so he could look at her. "YOU saved my life, baby. Please don't EVER doubt that. I would probably still be tied up to that fucking pole in that cold warehouse had it not been for you. I need you to know that."

Meryl didn't even try to stop her tears as she looked away from him. "Even though I divorced you to do it."

"You SAVED my life." Don said again as he made her look at him. "It doesn't mean a damn thing. It sure as hell isn't going to tear us apart. I think it's kind of hot to be living in sin again."

There. He did it. Just as he always did. He made her laugh through her tears. "It won't be for long, buster. I will be marrying you, LEGALLY, just as soon as you are better. I can't stand the thought of not being able to make important decisions together, or not having a say in your care."

"Or me, yours." Don knew how she felt. "You will ALWAYS be my next of kin."

Meryl nodded with a kiss to his lips. "Okay, I am going to get the doctor so we can get started and make sure my guy is okay."

"Are you leaving?" Don panicked as he reached for her hand as she started to get out of the car. "Baby, please don't leave me. I'm really..."

Meryl stopped and looked at him. Almost this whole time, they had talked about that stupid divorce she was forced into filing. She couldn't imagine what he had been through. "You're what, baby? Talk to me, sweetheart."

"I'm scared." Don breathed as he said it out loud. "That was hard for me."

Meryl knew that. She had known him for far too long not to know that he must have been so terrified in order to say that aloud. "I'm so damn proud of you. Do you want to talk about it, Don Man?"

"When I woke up in that damn warehouse, I didn't know what was going on. I was so afraid whoever did this to me, then got to you. I didn't know where you were. I knew the babies were safe because they were with Mike and Mags." Don choked. "I just really don't want to be away from you."

Meryl crushed her lips to his and then placed a soft kiss on her forehead before pressing her forehead to his. "I am NOT going anywhere, baby. The kids are helping Liz and Maggie with the babies. They have plenty of milk and bottles."

"I'm sorry. I don't mean to keep you from them." Don said with frustration. "I know how important nursing is to you."

Meryl nodded. "They are 5 months old, it's time to have more bottles. Besides, right now you are more important and I am NOT going anywhere. I wanted to wait before bringing them up here. I know how badly you want to see all of them, we just need to stay focused on my guy for right now. Which means you are NOT going ANYWHERE without me, including your tests. I think it will be a LONG time before I will let you out of my sight, if EVER."

"I'm feeling the same way." Don sighed. "I just don't want to keep you from..."

Meryl shook her head as she couldn't resist kissing his lips. "You are NOT keeping me from anything or anyone. I'm going to call for the nurse so we can get these tests started. I will be right with you, every step of the way."