Chapter 41

"You doing okay, baby?" Don said as he pulled the hospital blanket tighter over Meryl once they got her settled in a hospital bed, and Stacey went to order the tests. They were grateful that Stacey was able to check Meryl in over the phone, and took them in a back way to the room she had reserved for Meryl. Larry and Liz told them they would be in the private waiting room next door if they needed anything, but they wanted to give Don and Meryl their privacy, and Larry was making phone call after phone call trying to figure out how Jane got out of jail. "Can I get you anything?"

Meryl reached her hand out to him. "Please sit and relax. I'm sorry we're here again, Don Man. You should be the one in this hospital bed, not me. I should be in a fucking jail cell for what I did to you and could have...."

"Baby, PLEASE don't say that ANY more." Don said sadly. "It was an ACCIDENT. You would never ever never hurt me, not in a million years. Besides, we've all wanted to do that to my mother."

Meryl knew he was trying to make a joke, but she just shook her head. "I'm scared. What if there is something psychologically wrong with me?"

"Baby, you haven't cracked. You haven't had some psychotic break." Don said sitting next to her on the bed, facing her. "However, if you did then it would be COMPLETELY understandable and justified after everything that has happened. Sweetheart, I really think it is your concussion. Which I fucking hate, because it was the stress from my family..."

Now it was Meryl's turn to calm him down. "Jane, NOT your family. You have made that clear."

"True." Don said taking calming breaths. "Baby, I really don't want you to carry around guilt about this. That is so important to me. First of all, there is a medical explanation. I know it. Second of all, this isn't your fault, at all. Third, I will be with you every step of the way. You know that, right?"

Meryl blinked back tears as she stroked his fingers with hers. "Better than anything, my love."

"Good, so let's talk about something else." Don wanted to try to keep her spirits up as much as possible. "Starting with, what can I get you for supper tonight?"

It melted Meryl's heart that he was so worried about her with everything that happened throughout the day. He was the one shot. His mother was trying to play God with his life again, not to mention she somehow got out of jail. "Baby, I don't want you to worry about it. I wish Maggie would let us order in food for everyone tonight, food that is good for Mikey as well. It's been a stressful two days for them, for all of us, and I just don't want her to worry about it. In addition to taking care of the babies."

"I will try, but I'm not sure if I will..." Don was cut off by the dinging of the phone. He reached into the pocket of his fleece pullover and realized it was her phone, before looking at the screen. "Oh, I guess I still have your phone from earlier. Sorry about that, Darl."

Meryl shook her head at him. "I have nothing to hide, especially not from you."

"It goes both ways, hot stuff." Don said as he looked at the phone and he was squeezing it so hard he was surprised it didn't break. He was trying to take deep breaths as he read the message: Did you do it? You know it is inevitable, Meryl, so just put my son first for once in your life. You don't deserve him. If you don't leave him, then I know what I need to do. I have the money and means to do it. It is for my son after all. Him being dead is better for him than being with you. "Okay, you didn't answer my question earlier, can I get you anything?"

Meryl could tell that something happened. Something really bad. It had to do with whatever was on her phone. "Yeah, Don Man, you can. You can either show me my phone or tell me what happened to make you look like you want to kill someone."