Chapter 17

Meryl was hoping that she could help Don clean up before the police got to Mike and Maggie's house, however, that didn't happen. Right after they had their talk about his mother, the babies woke up hungry. They were able to nurse them and play with them a bit before Maggie made both Don and Meryl eat a little something, and then Maggie and Liz insisted on taking the babies while Don and Meryl were busy with the police. It was still incredibly early in the morning so the other kids were still asleep, which they were glad about. Don and Meryl hated having Liz and Maggie keep the babies while they met with the police, they felt like they had hardly spent any time with them due to everything, but they knew it would be too tense and the babies were better off with Liz and Maggie; and so with lots of kisses to their babies, they handed them off and got to the task at hand-trying to find who did this to Don.

***

"Mr. Gummer, thank you for your statement about what happened this morning at your parents; and we already got your son's signed statement." Detective Evans said and pointed to Meryl's phone. "Mrs. Gummer, we would like to register your phone into evidence."

Don shook his head. "That's her phone. Who knows how long you'll have it."

"It's okay, Don Man if it helps put away these awful people." Meryl said as she rubbed his neck. "I do have personal information on it and would like to get that off first."

Don took the phone from the officers. "I have all your stuffed backed up every 12 hours to our MacBook, automatically. I'm just going to delete everything off real quick, only on the phone, except for the pertinent information."

"You're handsome and techy." Meryl flirted with her husband, knowing that as hard as all this was on her, that it was even harder on him. "Thanks, baby."

The detective continued on his list of things he needed to take care of. "We have statements from the restaurant personnel, Mrs. Gummer and your cousin Stacey on everything that happened last night. We also have a statement from your mother from last night, but judging by what we heard, we need to bring her down for questioning again."

"That's fine." Don said as he could tell his wife was about to say something, so he completed his thought."However, I am not pressing charges; WE are not pressing charges." Don said as he gently smiled at his wife, looking up from her phone. "I do have a restraining order out against her in the protection of my wife, myself, and our family. However, if I were to press charges, then that would just make things worse."

Officer Hernandez, the other officer there, was surprised to hear that. "After what she admitted to? Mr. Gummer, if you want protection for the family against her, then we can do that..."

"Don..." Meryl was second-guessing herself. "Maybe, I was...."

"Right as always." Don said as he finished with her phone and gave it to Detective Evans. "I'll buy you a new phone." Don then looked at the officers. "We have a LONG history with my mother, our decision stands. This is between me and my wife."

Mike jumped in, knowing these officers very well. "I agree with Don and Meryl's decision and I have been protecting Don against his family since he was a little boy. This really is best."

"I agree." Larry then gave both Don and Meryl a soft smile. "As their lawyer, and the Manhattan DA, I will make sure they are safe."

Detective Evans nodded as he restarted his recorder. "We will move on, then. We have all the evidence. Mr. Gumme,r we need your statement from last night. From you having supper with your wife, to when we picked you up in that parking lot."

"Yeah." Don was nervous. "Okay."

Meryl couldn't even imagine how hard this would be for him. She knew that Mike and Larry needed to be there as their lawyers, however, she thought he might be more comfortable without her there. She wanted to be there more than anything, however, the last thing she wanted was to make him uncomfortable. "Baby, would you be more comfortable if I..."