Chapter 31

Don and Meryl enjoyed some time cuddling, just the two of them, which was what Maggie wanted when she said that they would watch the babies. Don hated that Meryl had a panic attack while he was asleep earlier in the day, but he was so glad that Maggie was there for her and with her. After Don and Meryl spent time together and finding the babies sleeping on their Grandpa Mike's chest, Don convinced Meryl to take a long hot bath knowing how much that always relaxed her. He was relieved that it didn't take much convincing. While Meryl was taking a bath, Don went into the den to check on the babies. Maggie smiled at him and pointed to the heated porch, and Don followed her out there. "They doing okay, Mags?"

"They are perfect." Mags reached for Don's hands. "How's our girl doing?"

Don sighed loudly. "Better. She seems to be at least, but then again, I had no idea she was having panic attacks."

"Honey, she isn't keeping anything from you, she would never do that." Maggie began to explain. "It all piled on top of her. I mean, you two have been through ABSOLUTE hell. You know, it's because she loves you so much."

"And I love her more than anything." Don said with his trademark smirk. "Thank you for being there for her, for being there for all of us. For all the ways you love and take care of me and my family."

Maggie leaned forward and kissed the top of his head, as she got tears in his eyes. "There is no way that I could possibly love you more if you were biologically my child. You are our son, Don, always. Meryl is our daughter. Your children are our grandchildren. This is your home."

"And you are my parents." Don choked, he had always felt that in his heart, but especially the last few days. "And I do feel at home here."

Maggie nodded as she wiped away her tears. "You know, there are times I wish we would have adopted you. We tried."

"I feel like you did. I have always known this was my family." Don said assuredly. "Last names don't matter."

"Damn straight." Maggie said with a strong nod of her head. "Now, what can I do for you and our girl?"

Don couldn't help but laugh. "Are you kidding? After everything you all have done and are continuing to do for us."

"Yes, we have been with you both through all of this, but I can't even fathom your emotions. So, I want you two to have some more time together." Maggie told him. "What can I make for supper?"

Don shook his head with a laugh. "Please let me order out food for everyone. You have been making so much food. I can't imagine what your grocery bill must be. Please, let me..."

"Don't you dare try to give me money, Donald Gummer." Maggie shook her head. "I'd be cooking for the 4 of us anyways."

Don shook his head. "Anything is wonderful. I was thinking, maybe what Meryl needs is a low key night."

"Would you like us to watch the babies?" Maggie offered. "You know we would love it."

Don knew that. "I know, and I appreciate it so much. I'm thinking maybe a night the four of us is what she needs. I don't want you all to think that we don't appreciate it..."

"Honey, I know that, and I absolutely agree." Maggie smiled. "Now for dessert...."

Don shook his head with a smile on his face. "No, I have an idea about dessert. Let me take care of that."

"Okay, I will let you do that." Maggie winked as she looked into the den and saw that the babies were still sleeping with Mike. "The babies are out. Why don't you go spend some time with your girl?"

Don nodded. "I would like that, but first, I want to arrange that dessert."

***

Meryl couldn't believe that she drifted off while soaking in the bathtub. She was so relaxed. She was disappointed that Don didn't join her in the bathtub, but she hoped that he got some rest, she wanted that for him as much as he wanted it for her. Meryl stretched as she got out of the tub, and dried off. She didn't know the last time she leisurely took her time bathing. She reached for her lotion and felt much better after she was able to moisturize and rejuvenate her skin. She reached for her robe, and then her curling gel smiling as she ran the gel through her hair, knowing how much her husband liked it when she helped along the natural wave in her hair. She was starting to feel more and more human after the events over the last 48 hours, and she was hoping her husband felt the same way.