Chapter 22

"Mrs. Jane Gummer." Detective Welsh said. "You are under arrest."

Jane's eyes got huge. "What? Why?"

"WHY?!" Meryl was indignant. "Look at your SON, Jane!"

Jane just shook her head. "What does that have to do with me?"

"I can't fucking believe this." Meryl was quickly unraveling, and Don wasn't going to stop her. He felt like Meryl should have her shot at his mother. "You ADMITTED to helping in your son's abduction. And you're asking why?"

Jane looked at Don, knowing Meryl was referencing his and Jane's conversation that morning. "You don't have proof. I did NOTHING wrong."

"Actually, we do. I recorded you on M's phone." Don said. "The police have it. I want to say something..." Don began as Jane just rolled her eyes. "Don't you DARE roll your eyes at me. When I left your place this morning, I wanted to have your ass arrested. However, this woman here, you know, the one you claim doesn't love me...was so fucking terrified at what you would do to me, not to her, but to me. That she talked me out of it."

Mike nodded as he jumped in. "The county prosecutor is filing the charges and wants you prosecuted. Not Don. Not Meryl. The prosecution. You're screwed, Jane."

"But don't worry, MOTHER." Don said as disdain dripped from his voice. "Your lawyer is already here."

Jane was confused. "Mike hasn't been our lawyer for years. Besides, I don't need a lawyer...I have done NOTHING wrong."

"And I never will be again." Mike said strongly. "He's not talking about me. Max Devereaux. James' lawyer. You hired him for the Grays didn't you, Jane?"

At that moment Max Devereaux came running up. "Don't answer, Jane. What is going on here?"

"You were right." Meryl whispered to Don as she had her arms around him, knowing how tired he must be from standing up for so long. "She hired him, baby."

All Don could do was nod as he held onto his wife and kissed the top of her head. "Jane Gummer, you have the right to remain silent. Anything you say, can and will be used against you in a court of law. You have the right to an attorney. If you cannot afford an attorney, one will be provided for you. Do you understand the rights I have just read to you? With these rights in mind, do you wish to speak to me?"

"With my lawyer present." Jane looked at Don. "If you are doing this, then call your father and tell him that I am being wrongfully accused."

Meryl's eyes flashed red at her mother-in-law. "He is NOT doing this. You did this to yourself."

"It's okay, baby." Don said rubbing Meryl's back to try to keep her calm, and then he looked at Jane. "I assume you get a phone call. You can fucking call him."

Meryl and Don watched as they took Jane to the room that the Grays were just in. Meryl knew they decided not to wait around for Jane, and she knew that Don needed to get home and to bed badly, but she also wanted to do what he needed to do. She turned to Don. "Sweetheart, do you want to stay? Do you want to stay and watch her interrogation?"

"I know we need to get back to the babies." Don sighed as he watched them taking his mother away. "But, I need to see this, M. I need her to fucking admit what she's done and I need to stay for it. I know she has put you through hell..."

To Meryl, what Don needed was much more important to her. "The babies are with their Aunt Lizzie and Grandma Maggie, it isn't time for another feeding yet. And if they get hungry then there are bottles and my frozen milk."

"Okay." Don looked deep into Meryl's eyes as he cupped her cheek in his hands. "And you are up for this? Are you sure?"

Meryl was more concerned about him at the moment. "We go through this together."