Capίtulo Uno.

~The cute ass Dylan O'Brien as the famous Micah McKenna.

~

The Ruthless Mafia: Capίtulo Uno

[September 19th, 2014]

It was a cold and harsh thunderstorm on this day in September. It was nothing like your hot summer days in June or your April showers, or even the cool yet romantic winters of January. It was as if there was some hanging sense of dread in the form of a cloud, just drooping over our person.

It felt like a sad day as I looked out of the window of Manhattan General, hearing the crash of thunder as lightning zinged the sky. I let out a loud sigh as I grabbed my clipboard, heading out of the room. I had rounds to make before I went home, so I had no choice but to stick it out through this weather. It wouldn't be too long before I went home to lay on my soft bed.

"Remember those walls I built, well baby they're tumbling down, and they didn't even put up a fight," I murmured to myself as I heard down the hall to speak to one of my co-workers about the newest patient. Here at Manhattan General, the population of nurses was much greater than the doctors, and seeing that I was an intern, working to become a registered nurse, I could attest to that. "Hey, Arianna," I called out to my black-haired co-worker, chuckling to myself once she flinched from my loud voice. 

"God damn it, boy. Don't scare me like that!" She put a hand on her chest, turning to me with a pout and I smirked with a shake of my head. "No need to freak out." I was working at the hospital as an intern, making sure that the doctor I shadowed got the necessary equipment he needed and that I tended to certain patients when needed. It was good pay and I would get to work here when my internship was done. It was a done and done deal, considering I had a whole life ahead of me to live. Being twenty was a pain. 

"When are you gonna get you a boyfriend?" She raised her brow, linking her arms in with mine and I sighed, knowing that she sounded just like my best friends and I frowned. "Nah, that kind of thing is not suited for me," I replied in a small voice. It wasn't that I didn't want one because I did, but I had one experience that rendered me nearly lifeless.

I fought the urge to tug at the scar on my hip, ridding all of those useless memories out of my mind. It was going to be very difficult to find someone that didn't treat me the same he did, not that I would go looking for it. As far as I was concerned, my daughter and I were enough for me to handle all on my own. 

"Let's go get some lunch. I heard that they're serving Chinese," I smiled gratefully at Arianna's change in subject. It wasn't like she knew, but only one could infer and put two and two together. "Yeah, come on," I pulled her along and all of a sudden, a voice that called out to us stopped me in my tracks.

"Are you Micah McKenna?" 

I blinked profusely as I whirled around on my heel to see a tall, light-skinned police officer from the New York Police Department pointing at me, a stern look on his face. I gulped nervously, feeling Arianna's confused gaze on me as she let go of my arm. The officer waited for me to answer, probably already knowing that I was me. My blood was pulsating in my veins and I had the urge to flee, but I knew that I shouldn't. 

It would just make things worse. 

In that split second that I had, I tried to wrack my brain of any small crimes that I could've committed. I mean, when I was like ten, I accidentally stole a Snickers from the local corner store, but that was about it. I was too scared to do anything big and I wasn't a criminal at heart. Then what the fuck was he doing here and why was he looking at me like I just annihilated a whole country?