Chapter 1

Third person POV:

Yrsa was an average Asgardian maiden; her family was in the lower middle class on the social hierarchy and life had not dealt her the best of cards. She had to learn how to be independent at an early age and started working small piece jobs at the age of ten. Her mother had died giving birth to her younger brother around thirteen years ago and it has just been her, her brother and their father ever since. Her father was growing old and soon she would have to become the breadwinner of her family. Yrsa would be reaching her eighteenth year of life soon and that meant she would have to leave her small village and look for better paying jobs in the main city.

On the eve of Yrsa'a day of birth, Houlde and Freyr; her brother and father, had travelled to the villagemarket to try and find her something nice to honour her coming of age whileshe was at the small farm she worked on. "Father, what do you think we shouldget sister Yrsa for her eighteenth year of life?" Houlde asked his father. Theold man thought long and hard, wrinkles telling of his age creasing his ancientface, after what seemed like a very long time, he finally answered his son, "I do not know. Your sister no longer shares her interests with me, I would've thought out of the two of us you would know." After an hour of looking around the stalls of the market, Freyr and his son finally stopped at a stall that sold accessories such as bracelets, necklaces and earrings. Freyr and Houlde walked over to the stall and admired the different coloured trinkets. The stall keeper noticed them, she stood up and smiled at them. Finally, she said, "See anything you like?" Houlde sweetly smiled at the stall keeper and said "Hello miss, my father and I are looking for a little present to give to my older sister. You see her birthday is tomorrow and we'd love to give her a little something." Freyr nodded in agreement. The stall keeper nodded, looked below the table and reached for a little box then placed it on the table. "This little set of trinkets doesn't cost much but it is dazzling and the perfect gift for a young maiden." The stall keeper said and gave the box to Freyr. He opened the small box and stared in awe at the emerald bracelet, the gold and green necklace with a black stone and the emerald nob earrings. Houlde saw the look on his father's face and shifted his weight to his right foot to get a better view inside the box, soon after they were both staring inside the box in awe. The golds and the greens complimented one another exquisitely and they were both sure Yrsa would love it.

After paying for the box of trinkets, Freyr and Houlde set off on their long journey back home. After walking for about four hours, they finally made it home. They arrived before Yrsa and hid her present in Freyr's small chambers. A little while after them, Yrsa arrived. She looked like a mess. Her black frizzled hair was all bunched up and not in the neat afro she had dressed it in in the morning, her working clothes were covered in what looked like mud but didn't really smell like it, her eyes were red and bored inwards and she had eyebags beneath them. 

Yrsa's POV:

I was tired, my body ached from the work of the day. I worked on a farm that paid close to nothing. It was a hard job but it was the only job that was available to me, I was below eighteen and I didn't have any sort of education because only well off families afforded to take their offspring to school. My family didn't have that luxury. My father being well over the age to keep working and my younger brother being only thirteen, it was up to me to work and feed the family. My mother had died the same day while birthing Houlde. I don't remember much about her except stories father used to tell me in my childhood about her, she was an amazing woman. Today was the eve of my birthday and this year I was reeling with joy because I was on the doorstep of coming of age. I was happy because I would finally get to leave my small village and look for work in the main city where the royal family lives in the palace.

When I arrived home, I wanted nothing more than to retreat to my chambers and slumber. I opened the door to find my dearest father and brother sitting at the dining table eating supper. I smiled weakly at them and closed the front door. "Sister, what died and left you its clothes?'' Houlde shrieked grabbing quickly at his nose, I did indeed smell horrible. "Dear brother, you must know by now that I work with animals that eat and defecate quite a lot. Today the swine decided to run around the farm before getting into their enclosures, I simply fell into the pile of pig poo while trying to rally them." Father looked at me and snickered a bit behind his spoonful of rice, I smiled at him. "Yrsa my child, do wash up before heading to bed, alright?" I simply nodded. I made my way to the kitchen area, quickly ate my supper then made my way to the washroom. I took off my clothes then my undergarments and washed myself down near the sink.