Chapter 17

Loki's POV:

I was in my bed chamber, laying on my bed staring at the ceiling. My hands felt empty, the air within my chambers felt strange, like something--in actual fact, someone-- was missing. I looked over to the couch where Yrsa and I would usually cuddle on. I miss her; her beautiful brown-black gaze, how her lips would curl up in a small sheepish smile whenever she would call my name, how her eyes would glimmer and sparkle with joy whenever I would call hers, I miss her sarcastic remarks and her wit-filled comebacks to my mocking and joking around. I love how her brain works, she's so much smarter than she gives herself credit. I was stirred out of my thoughts by a small knock on my door. I sat up and faced the door before I called out, "Enter." The door creaked open and in walked mother. "Good evening, dear." Mother said as she closed the door. I stood from my bed and headed for the bedside couch. Mother walked over and sat next to me. "Good evening mother. What brings you to my chambers this late at night? Does father know that you are here?" I spoke softly as I rested against the backrest of the couch with my hands on my laps. "I do not need permission from your father to come see my son. I came here to enquire about your day, you were not in here when I came to check up on you in the afternoon." I looked to the side and shifted on the couch slightly. "I went down to the dungeons to see Yrsa." I murmured under my breath. "What was that, Loki?" Mother shifted closer to me as she asked. "I said I went down to the dungeons to see Yrsa, mother." I looked up at her. Mother tilted her head slightly to the side, a frown firmly set on her face and said worriedly, "Who helped you do this? Because I am almost certain you did not just waltz down there yet your father had put out a warning to the guards that they were to prohibit you from seeing Yrsa." 

"Lady Freyer helped me; she had mentioned to me that she was planning on visiting Yrsa so I simply asked to accompany her." I said. "You should have just asked me to help you get down to the dungeons. If your father finds out about Freyer helping you, she could lose her job or--possibly-- her life." Mother said quietly to me. I sighed lightly and put my hands on my face. "Why does father have to be so difficult?" I asked, my words being muffled by my hands. "When do you plan on seeing her again, dear?" Mother asked me. I let my hands rest on my laps again and spoke softly, "I do not know, I do want to see her everyday but I don't want anyone catching on-- especially father-- that I go to the dungeons to see her. I don't want to get her into anymore trouble." I sighed. Mother looked thoughtfully at the floor, her eyebrows furrowing. After a bit of silence, she turned to me and said, "I have an idea. Nobody uses the relics room, your father rarely ever goes down there. Why don't you and Yrsa use it as your meeting place? It is private and no guards are allowed down there." Her lips had turned up slightly into a small smile. "You would actually allow us to meet in the relics room?" I asked her, my head slightly tilted to the right. "Yes, Loki. I can see how happy this maiden makes you. I can tell you love her and she loves you as well. Who am I to stand in the way of young love?" Mother put her right hand on my left one and squeezed softly. "Thank you, mother." I said softly and smiled. "No need to thank me, dear." She said as she stood from the couch. Mother walked over to the door and opened it. Before she left, she looked back at me and said, "Now get some sleep, dear. She's probably waiting for you in your dreams." Mother smiled and walked out, closing the door behind her. I snickered lightly as I headed for my  bed. 

Third person POV: 

Three weeks had passed without Loki seeing Yrsa. That was because the talks over the arranged marriage between Loki and Alflyse were commencing after much delay. The palace was buzzing and everything was so busy. Odin, Loki and Frigga had stayed a week in Svartalfheim for the first part of the discussions about the union. Now, Loki was back home. He was unpacking when he heard a loud knock on his door. "Enter." He called out. The door flung open and in walked Odin in all his glory. He had his armour on, nothing but golds and elegant greys glimmering. Loki turned from his cabinet and stared at his father. "What do you want in here?" Loki spat. "Am I not allowed to check on my son after such a busy few weeks?" Odin enquired as he closed the door behind him.  "Father, I want nothing to do with that elf. Why must you always force me into things? You never listen to me." Loki said sharply. "Loki, you are royalty and royalty intermingles with other royals. You will marry Alflyse, your union will bring about peace to both kingdoms and great honour to you for such a sacrifice."

 Loki chuckled hoarsely as he glared at his father and spoke, "You truly are delusional if you think I will be doing that." "What?" Odin questioned. "I do not love that dull creature, do you honestly expect me to wed that thing? My heart resides in the depths of this very palace and despite your disapproval, Yrsa and I will be together again." Loki said as a smile curled onto his face. "You honestly insist on testing me each time we have a conversation." Odin snickered as he continued, "You will never see that girl again. If your stubbornness resorts to it, I shall have her executed for her crimes." Loki whipped his head up and spoke, "What?" Odin looked Loki straight in the eye and said dryly, "You heard me." Loki glared at Odin, he wanted to say something but he was at a loss for words. Would Odin truly end Yrsa's life because of Loki? Odin looked at Loki one last time and headed towards the door. He walked out, shutting it loudly behind him. Loki plopped onto his couch as his stomach churned and twisted into knots. Loki knew the answer to the question and it terrified him.