𝟛

you looked up and around you at the beautiful scenery, admiring the forest in all its glory. Trees were towering above you, small birds chirping to one another in the canopies. The ground here was softer than any other place you'd been, your feet cushioned by grass and moss coating the forest floor.

Things were going well, in a weird way, even with that boar man who had taken to following you around like a puppy.

After the two of you set out into the woods together, he admitted that he had no idea where to go next, so you took the lead eventually.

As you were walking now, you remembered something

"Hey, Inosuke?"

He looked down at you inquisitively, tilting his head to the side

"Thanks for staying with me during Final Selection...I know you tried to attack me but, you could've just left me there if you wanted." you swallowed hard, feeling awkward trying to compliment him. 

He stared down at you for a long moment; he didn't want to admit it, but the way you recognized him made him feel strange—giddy, almost.

He shook his head "Whatever, you looked pathetic just laying there like that. Tch, I was going to leave you but..." He seemed to trail off mid-sentence.

"But?" You insisted, intrigued.

He turned his head away and the both of you fell silent.

"Fine." You sighed "But can you at least tell me what happened in those two days I was asleep?! Don't tell me I was just laying like that the whole time."

Inosuke scratched the back of his head anxiously "well, ah somethin' like that—I ended up moving you to a different spot. I wasn't sure you'd make it through that first night, but when I came back the next morning you were still there."

"You were LUCKY enough to survive while unconscious. So I figured I'd stay.."

You squashed a small smile at him, stifling a giggle so he really did feel bad

Inosuke side eyed you impatiently, a blush creeping up his face under his mask "WHAT?! WHY'RE YOU LOOKING AT ME LIKE THAT?"

"It's just-" you finally let it out, tilting your head back and laughing "I can't believe it! This whole time I was afraid of you and you're actually not that bad"

Inosuke  froze, placing a hand over his heart what the hell is she talking about?!

Why do I keep feeling all weird when she talks to me.. this is unbearable He thought to himself.

You stopped in your tracks and looked back at Inosuke, rubbing your arm apologetically.

"Sorry if I offended you or something—I really didn't mean it like that, I just meant—ahh shit. Uhm...let's just go." You laughed nervously, grabbing him by the wrist and speed walking toward your destination.

After descending the mountain for hours, the two of you finally came upon an inn at dusk
Finally, I can rest...whatever happened to my foot while I was fighting really fucked it up.

You looked back over your shoulder to see Inosuke trailing behind you, looking dejected as he emerged from the shadowy cover of the trees.

Oh boy, what's going on now??

"Uhh—are you alright? You've been pretty quiet for the last hour yknow" You tilted your head at him "I just thought you'd be excited to know that we're going to a place with food"