𝟙𝟜

The next morning, you woke in Takeda's house to the familiar sound of crow's call echoing out into the atmosphere.

The sunlight beaming through the window felt warm and pleasant on your back. That was when you rolled over and realized you'd slept on the floor without a blanket.

As expected, you were the last one to rise. Inosuke, who sat cross-legged at your side, was wiping his eyes drowsily, but he refused to be the last one to wake up.

"Must you insist on waiting on me like a dog? I'm not going to die in my sleep you know" you teased, sitting up and stretching

Inosuke tapped his fingertips together, blushing curtly

"Something wrong with that?" Inosuke  looks down at you

"Of course not," you giggled, leaning towards him "I am simply acknowledging the noble guard ensuring my safety while I rest. Somebody's gotta do it, right?"

Inosuke inhaled sharply, turning his head away "STOP TALKING LIKE THAT—I was just making sure you'd get up. Everybody's waiting for us again, you know."

"Oh?" You blinked at him

"Yeah," Inosuke rose to stand "Now come on, we don't have all day."

As soon as the two of you step outside, Tanjirou is beckoning you towards him, with a crow perched on his index finger.

The crow tilted its head back, its sleek onyx black feathers shining in the morning sun.

"Monjiro! I didn't know you had a pet!" Inosuke laughed, and you elbowed him in the shoulder

"It's Tanjiro. And this isn't my pet. He's a Kasugai crow" Tanirou laughs at the two of you. When Tanjirou turns his head you realize that for now, his black eye is bandaged up with some cloth and cotton.

You and Inosuke exchanged puzzled looks

Zenitsu, who stood beside Tanjirou, gasped with his hand over his mouth "Don't tell me you guys don't know!! Are you sure you really went to final selection or was that some kind of strange white lie?"

"HEY!! Quit being rude Zenitsu! Of course we were there" You retorted defensively "But uh...I may have spaced out when they were talking or something..ha"

"Same. I don't even remember anything from that day." Inosuke added

Tanjirou rolled his eye and shrugged "oh well, what can you do,"

WHAT!? AN ATTITUDE!! How rare

"The Kasugai crow," Tanjiro explains "is supposed to help send us messages back and forth. This letter that he brought is addressed to all four of us"

You flinched All of us? I guess I forgot they know who I am.

Tanjirou raises the envelope in his other hand "(Y/N)? Why don't you come to do the honors of reading it for us this time?"

You tug at the collar of your uniform, stepping towards Tanjirou reluctantly.

Everyone's eyes are watching you intently as you drag your fingernail across the top of the envelope and then slip the letter out carefully. You made sure you took extra care not to drop it as you let the letter unfold itself in your hands.

"It's from the swordsmith!" You smiled slightly "We should be expecting to receive brand new swords within three to four business days. How exciting!"

"Does it say anything else?" Zenitsu asks

"Hmm.." You scanned the paper again "Ah! The swords will be delivered to the 'house of the wisteria family crest'...What?"