𝟙𝟡

The sunrise came early that next morning. Birds outside chirped gleefully in the treetops, calling you to seize the day.

You probably would have wanted to get up, had you at least gotten a wink of sleep last night. But, you didn't

You've only known Inosuke and the others for a short while, but you feel as though you should be loyal to them

You even recall firmly stating to Zenitsu how seriously you take being a demon slayer.

It's just the guilt messing with my head...all I've ever wanted was to avenge my family. I never anticipated I'd make friends

Besides familial relationships, casual connections with others is a foreign concept to you

You hoped that breaking the tension last night between you and Inosuke would satisfy your need for closeness with him

But even someone like you, who's never been in love, knows that when fondness is combined with passion, obsession comes into play.

Your mouth is dry. For the past few hours, you've been replaying the moment in your head, memorizing the feeling of his rough hands, and soft lips

and his face watching you when you walked off

After all that, you expected to see him sulking in bed or ignoring you, but he wasn't there. Sometimes I wish I could read his mind.

"(y/n)!" Hisa called from the doorway in a hushed voice

You sit up quickly "Yes?"

"Someone is here, they claim to be a distant relative of yours. Would you like to come to see them?"

You lean against the doorway to the front of the house, hiding your injured foot behind your other one.

Before you stands a tall, regal man. He looks a little bit like you, but he's thin and long with a stony expression. You don't really recognize him but you figure it's just because you haven't seen any family since the day you were lost.

Finally, something to distract me from all these confusing thoughts

Behind you, Inosuke, Tanjiro, and Zenitsu stood, waiting for something to happen. They're peeking out from behind the doorframe but still visible from where the man stood. It was almost like they intended to protect you from something

"So youthful, just as I predicted you would be," The man says, "It must have been a millenia since I've laid eyes upon your delicate face. You were just an infant then."

Somethings off... you smile disingenuously "How did you find me?"'

He breathes a soft sigh "It was simple, really. As soon as you started roaming about with those three, people began to take notice. But, the details aren't important now that I can see you."

"I see," Your eyes wander to the hilt of a katana, barely visible at his side

"I'm a demon hunter myself, as you can probably tell," He says "I have been for a while now. Ever since my wife died my family has been financially unstable. So, naturally, I've gone looking for anyone that might be related to me."

"I did hear the unfortunate news about your mother, father, and siblings. I bet you thought you had nothing left to lose, right?"

You held your head down in shame "I guess so"

He extends a hand towards you "Well, I'm offering you a chance at a comfortable life. My only condition for these terms? Is that you will be married off within the next few days. You will not be permitted to return to such a lifestyle as this."