𝟠

"(Y/n)! Zenitsu!"

Tanjiro grins at you, heating his palms over a small orange flame in the center of some rocks aligned in a circular shape.  Nezuko is sitting a few feet behind him with her arms wrapped around her knees, mesmerized by the fire.

The spot that Tanjiro had chosen was well hidden--They were in front of a wall of rocks nearby to a stream, and blocked off on the other side by a fallen tree covered in moss.

"Hey..." You approach the fire, a shiver going down your spine as you tried to adjust to the contrast in temperature "Where's Inosuke? He shouldn't be out there alone."

Zenitsu sat across from you, warming himself over the fire. He looked over at Tanjiro, awaiting an answer to your question.

"Oh! He didn't say where he was going but he said he'd be back with firewood, so I assume he won't be long if you're worried about it."  Tanjiro raised an eyebrow, a hint of amusement in his tone

You crossed your arms over your chest, sitting hunched over the fire, and pouted impatiently "rr...I'm not worried, just bored. He better be back soon."

After about an hour of awkward small talk and conversation here and there, both Tanjiro and Zenitsu were fast asleep, and this time they were both rolled up in soft blankets rather than just roughing it on the dirt like last time.

Those two sleep like babies You thought with a small chuckle I wish I brought my own blanket.

The fire was beginning to die down and you kept having to poke at the charred wood beneath the flames with a long pointy stick to awaken the embers inside and keep it from burning out.

Nezuko helped a few times, wandering off to get small sticks and leaves she found, but they weren't going to be enough to last while you were waiting for Inosuke's return.

You sighed through gritted teeth as the cold really started to get to you. The moon was full and bright white in the sky, directly overhead. It's midnight...why isn't he back yet?!

"erm...Nezuko?"

Nezuko perked up at her name and tilted her head.

"I'm going to go find Inosuke. If I'm not back before sunrise, find a way to let the others know."

Nezuko nodded, watching you get up and sneak off into the dark.

Oh god why am I doing this, this was such a bad idea

The silence was deafening. You clutch your shoulders, rubbing them with your hands to try to create friction.

You were panting hard from having jogged along the bank of the stream, and your breaths came out like small white clouds against the inky black and blue landscape before you.

Why does Inosuke always want to make bad decisions as soon as night falls?

Something nearby you stepped on a twig, and the crunching noise immediately triggered your fight or flight response, along with an unwanted flashback.

Your head was reeling as you turned and made a run for it, forgetting the cold and the throbbing pain in your foot.

Your skin prickled with goosebumps, your breathing became erratic, and you began stumbling over every little thing, unable to focus. You patted the spot right above your hip, searching for your sword.

Where...where's my sword?! DID I EVEN BRING IT WITH ME?

Your heart sank into your stomach and you suppressed the urge to vomit.