Chapter 34

Aria…

I chose a mint green lace halter necked dress that ended just after my knees and paired it off with nude block heel sandals. I heard voices coming from below and hurriedly removed the grip from my hair, leaving my hair untied and then left the room.                                                                                                Martina saw me walking down the stairs and stood up from her seat next to Damien to meet me. She reached out her hands towards me and I reluctantly took them.                                                                                                                          

“Oh, my dear. I’m so happy, you have no idea!”. I forced my lips into a smile and greeted her. Her heavy Italian accent scratched at my ears. Was her voice always so annoying?                                                                                                         “Come sit”. Damien’s father stood behind his wife with a slight smile on his face, but he didn’t say anything to me. Another man and women who I had seen at the party that night was also crowded around me.                                                                      Lars introduced me to them as Tony’s parents; Riccardo and Francesca. I smiled at them and accepted their warm hugs and congratulations. Adriana was next to me within a blink of an eye.                                                                                                                          “I’m going to be an aunt! I’m like, ecstatic!”.

Damien put his arm around his mother and she reached up to give him a congratulatory peck on the cheek. I tried to keep my breathing steady as Adriana squeezed the soul of out my body.                                                                                                                                            “Uhm…it’s still early” I said softly as I slowly removed Adriana’s hands off me.                                                                                         “Still, you have to be extra cautious. You’re not just carrying any baby” Martina said.                                                                                                                                      “You’re carrying a Romano”. I looked towards the back door, at an elderly man who had spoken. He was dressed in the finest of suits, salt and pepper hair dressed his face and head. There was a large scar running across his forehead, slicing through his one eyebrow. That must be Tony and Damien’s Grandfather. The man walked towards me, a stern expression on his scarred face.                 

“So, you are Aria Samuels?”. I nodded my head and extended my hand towards him. He took my hand and introduced himself as Alessandro.                                     “When I heard about my grandson kidnapping you, I thought you’d bring nothing but trouble to our family. I was not wrong”.                                                          “Nonno, I’ve showed you evidence that she’s innocent…”.                                                  “I was still speaking” He said, raising his voice slightly at Tony.                                       “Even though you are innocent, do not have the misconception that you will be allowed to leave. You are carrying my grandson’s child, my heir, and I do not give you permission to go back to where you’ve been brought from. You do understand, yes?”.