Chapter 28

Aria…

The doctor drew blood from my arm first.                                                                                “For the blood tests” He mumbled and put the tube into a tray. He checked my ears, nose and throat as well.                                                                                                             “When last have you had a pap smear?” He asked and took his seat, started scribbling something down on a slip of paper.                                                                               “I haven’t had one yet”. The doctor nodded his head and noted that down as well.                                                                                                                                                “Have you been sexually active?”.                                                                                                     I was about to shake my head and say no, when I remembered that time with Damien. “Uhm, yes, actually…”.                                                                                                               “Then you need to have your pap smear done. In the meantime, take this. I assume you know where the bathroom is?”.  

                                                                                                                                                     I looked down at what the doctor had slid across to me on the table. I inhaled a deep breath and picked up the box of the pregnancy test. I held it in my hand and looked at the doctor who had peered through the bottom of his lens at the file below his nose. I pushed my chair back and then left the room. I hurried over to the bathroom and went into a cubicle.                                                                   With shaky hands I opened the box and took out the test. I looked at the instructions on the box and followed the steps. When I was done, I then hurriedly wiped myself with toilet paper and wrapped the pregnancy test in toilet paper as well. I pulled up my underwear and tights and rushed over to the room where the doctor was in.                                                                                                                                                The test hadn’t revealed the results yet and my heart was in my throat, as the seconds ticked by. I pushed open the room door and the doctor’s head shot up at the abrupt intrusion.                                                                                                                                                 I pushed the test towards him, still wrapped up in toilet paper and sank into the chair opposite him.                                                                                                                              “Please tell me it’s negative” I breathed out with a sigh. My palms were sweaty, and my legs had gone numb with fear as the doctor unwrapped the toilet paper.                                                                                                                               The doctor looked at me and then at the test.                                                                “Unfortunately for you, it is positive”.

My heart was racing, my eyes widened with shock as I stared at the doctor. I still had the box in my hand. I brought it to my tearful eyes and looked at the indications on the box.                                            Two lines meant that I was pregnant.                                                                                                 One line that I wasn’t.                                                                                                                   I grabbed the pregnancy test from the doctor’s hands and looked at it.                     Two lines.                                                                                                                                 Two unmistakeable straight lines.                                                                                                                  I thought back the that night. My chest hurt when I remembered what it felt like to have him inside me. I was sure that he hadn’t even worn a condom. I wiped my eyes with the back of my hand. How did this not cross my mind earlier? I looked at the doctor who had a blank expression on his face.