Chapter 7

Damien…

“I have no doubt that Vasily is behind the recent bombings in Italy” Tony said with the slight shake of his head. It was around 1:30 pm, and drinks at Mr Yokashi’s was being served. Tony and I were seated at the table, while Maddox and Lars were outside the door, guarding.                                                                                                                                   “Loyal informants of mine have proof of his involvement, however none of his accomplices” I nodded, agreeing with Tony.                                                                    “He most definitely didn’t work alone. That man is cunning and can manipulate anyone into doing his bidding” Tony’s brows creased.                                                                                                                       “And your informants have proved their loyalty to you?” Yokashi asked.                                 “My cousin Dante still resides in our home town, and yes, he is trustworthy” I replied all the while nodding my head.                                                                                    “Very well then. We should continue tracking that Vasily’s whereabouts. He needs to be taken out as soon as possible. How stupid I was to think he could be trusted” Yokashi said with a sigh.                                                                                           

“Stop blaming yourself, father. You did not know that he would fool you into thinking those diamonds were real” His daughter, Aiko walked into the room and took a seat at our table.                                                                                                 “Good day, Mr Romano” She greeted me with a flirtatious smirk on her lips.                                                                                                       “Good day, Aiko” I answered, giving her a polite nod.                                                           “Nevertheless, I still spent 2 years in lock up. Two years that caused me to miss your mother’s funeral”. Just then, Lars came into the room after quickly knocking on the door.                                                                                                                         “My apologies for interrupting, Mr Yokashi, Damien, but I’ve just gotten word back from Dante”.                                                                                                                        My eyes narrowed at him. I could feel Tony’s panicked eyes on me.                                     “What is it? What’s happened?” I asked, narrowing my eyes further.                           “He’s had to flee Basiglio. He’s on his way here”.

I thought back to the last time I had seen Dante. It was when I was crowned as the Romano family crime boss. I was barely 18. I still remember how everyone gathered at one of Grandfather’s grandest estates.                                                             The hallway was decorated in golden yellow and blazing hot red. Italy’s flags raised up high on a golden, jewelled encrusted flag pole. I looked around the room, my eyes searching for my parents. I found them at the left side of the curved staircase, conversing with the head of security at the time, Alberto. My Father’s chest swollen with pride, my Mother’s tearful but gleeful face eyeing mine. I walked up the staircase, feeling the soft white roses that lined the wooden top of the hand rail. When I reached the top, where my Grandfather stood, I turned and looked down at everyone that stood below me.

“This is how it will always be, you above the rest” He whispered into my ear. My eyes reached my sister’s. I noticed the glimmer of sadness in her eyes. She was the only person that wasn’t completely happy with Grandad’s choosing as she feared for my life. Next to her, Tony stood with an encouraging smile upon his face and Dante, next to him, simply looked bored.                                                                                                                                        “Good evening everyone” Grandfather spoke. The way his voice announced, demanded attention, and all of the guest’s eyes were on us.                                                        “Since I’ve made the decision of sole heir to the family business, I’ve been asked many questions. Why I’ve been ruling for so long and now only decide to pass it down. Then, why I’ve decided upon choosing a grandson and not my sons. Well, it’s quite simple. My sons are of the age where they themselves are in need of care. Yes, Tony and Damien are a bit young, but I was fifteen years of age when I began my ruling. Nevertheless, their father and uncle will be of assistance, and I as well until my death”