Chapter 35

Aria…

As soon as the bullets stopped slicing through the air, Camilla broke free from Martina and Francesca and ran to her son’s body, howling with sadness. Everyone else walked back into the house. I looked at Adriana. She didn’t look one bit saddened.                                                                                                                                  “Are you ok?” I asked her softly. She tore her eyes away from the garage and looked at me.                                                                                                                                       “Of course. Look, Dante was my cousin and I loved him like my brother, but he crossed us, betrayed us. Family doesn’t do that. Family sticks together. He wasn’t part of us, he isn’t a part of us”.                                                                                               “But, killing him was a bit of a harsh decision…” I whispered to her.                                                    “That’s what we do with people who were wrong and deceived us”.                                                      “Let’s head back inside”.

When Adriana and I walked back into the house, it seemed that the rest of them were waiting for us at the bar. Adriana and I walked over. Mary made her way to the bar from the kitchen and had a tray in her hand full of flute glasses filled with champagne. One flute glass was filled to the brim was what seemed like orange juice.                                                                                                                             No doubt that that was for me. Mary offered Alessandro the first glass, then offered Damien, Lorenzo and everyone else. She walked up to me with a small smile on her face.                                                                                                                                                                    “No alcohol for you, ma’am”. I took the glass from the tray and returned her smile.                                                                                                                               

Alessandro cleared his throat.                                                                                 “There is no tolerance for backstabbers in the gang. When one of our own loses their footing, we shove them back onto the correct pathway. If they fuck up, we support them and take the fall if necessary. But if your own deceives you and sides with the enemy, you fucking get rid of them. And we have finally gotten rid of the scum, Dimitry Vasily, and Dante”.                                                              My ears perked up at this.                                                                                        

Dimitry Vasily? As in Dante’s father?                                                                                                                “What we have learned from this is that when one part of us is rotten, you cut it off. Dante was always weak. That is why I never even considered him to lead the gang. Putting Damien as head of the gang was an obvious decision”. Riccardo looked at Tony with a scorn on his face.                                                                          Tony looked away from his father to the ground.                                                                                       “The worst decision I could have ever made was to send Dante to Basiglio, where he reunited with his father. But, looking forward, Damien, you are to become a father in the coming months. Besides congratulations, I need you to know that now, more than ever, you need to up security around here. Having your own family puts a target on your back from the many enemies we have made over the years. Whether Aria accepts it or not, you will not let her out of your sight, or out of this house. She and the baby are the safest here”.