Chapter 30

Tony…

I ran down the empty hallway, in search of Aria. The passageway had many rooms, each were unoccupied. Where would she be if not in the rooms? I opened another door, and walked inside the bathroom. She wasn’t there either. I called out her name at the top of my voice. This wasn’t right, it seems like the entire floor was deserted.                                                                             
Fuck.                                                                                                                                   
I shouldn’t have taken so long to get to her. I struggled at opening another room door and forced it open with effort. I looked down and saw an envelope on the floor. The name on the white envelope caught my eye.                Candice.                                                                                                                                    That was the name that Aaron said Aria was using. I peered into the empty room and then picked up the envelope. I ripped it open and read the letter inside. It was a blood test report. I scanned the letter, everything was normal. Then my eye caught onto one word that nearly gave me heart attack.                
Aria was pregnant.                                                                                                             The urgency to find her was unbearable now. I pushed the letter into my pocket and burst through the other rooms and they too were empty. I punched my fist into the doorframe. I must have missed her by just a few seconds. I began running back through the hallway, glimpsing into the kitchen in case she was there and didn’t hear me call out to her. I took the stairs two by two and forced myself through the crowd of people. After I made it through to the door, I whipped my head back and forth in search of a getaway car. The road was empty, except for a couple making out on the bonnet of a car. I rushed over to them on the opposite side of the road.                                                                  

“Did you see a girl being taken away by a guy like this?” I asked them and showed them a picture of Evans. The guy shook his head and brought the girls lips to his. The girl didn’t even look as if she had recognised my presence. I walked away from them and stood in the middle of the road, my eyes scanning both ends of the road. I had no chance of finding her, not without Damien’s help. And he was Aria’s only hope. Aria was innocent and I had proof now that showed that the FBI agent was a fraud. I had a letter confirming that she was pregnant and evidence that Dante was involved too. Thing is, was it enough for Damien to believe me? I stormed off to my car and sat inside.

My phone vibrated again and I peered at the screen. Marco sent me an image. It seemed that Marco had begun investigating. I opened the message and downloaded the pic then viewed it. It was a CCTV camera image taken from a busy street. Judging from the buildings, the image was taken somewhere in Basiglio. Amidst a busy crowd on the pavement, Dante was walking in the direction of the camera. He wore a black hoodie, but his face was visible enough to recognise. He was talking to the man next to him; Vasily. Why the fuck was Dante conversing with the enemy? How was he connected to this man?

Aria…

I moaned and tried to open my eyes. I felt exhausted, but also as if I had slept for twenty hours. I began to stretch my arms apart and then felt that I couldn’t. My hands were…tied with rope! I opened my eyes. I was not on my bed at the club. I was on the floor…in a basement, it seemed. Did Evans bring me here? Was this this place? But why would he chain me to the wall?                                                                                                                                 
“Hello? Is anyone there?” I asked like some idiot from a horror movie, asking for the trouble to come and face her. Well, it would be better that way, wouldn’t it be? I heard a wooden door open and then footsteps hit the wooden planks of the staircase. Then he came to stand in front of me. "Sergio?". “Good morning, beauty” He answered with a chuckle and walked closer to me. Good morning? I had slept through another night.