Chapter 28 : BRIGHT

The court heard what my strong witness said.

I think, with all the strong evidences we presented in the court and with the testimonies that some of the witnesses attested, we could have a huge chance of winning.

I hope we'll win.

I suffered through a lot. I think I deserve what I truly deserve. And that is the rightful justice.

We're going closer to what we dreamed of, Mommy. Just hold on tight to me. I'll make sure we'll win.

After seven trials in the court, the day has finally arrived where we will hear what the court has decided.

Nathan and I prayed so hard last night. We are both sleepless because we anticipated so much for this.

"Case no. 667-8 the court finds Mateo G. Arce, guilty beyond reasonable doubt of the crime raping Atty. Nina Kendra P. Arce suffering the accounts of reclusion perpetua, so ordered."

Upon hearing what the court has decided, I felt Nathan's hand on my waist as he pulled me closer to him for a tight hug.

"Congratulations, Ken! You deserve this!"

I won my case. I defended myself successfully.

Hindi ko pa napa-process ang lahat sa utak ko nang biglang nakaramdam ako ng kung ano sa tagiliran ko, kasabay no'n ang isang tunog ng putok ng baril.

"Kendra!" I still heard Nathan calling out my name but his voice was laced with concern.

My sight is getting blury but I still saw the image of Nathan, he looked concerned as he swiftly supported my back.

Then, it all went black.

"Nina..." I heard a very familiar voice.

Even after years of not hearing that voice, I easily figured out who is the one calling me.

"Nina..."

"Mom?" I called out.

It was my mother's voice. I know it is hers because a voice never soothed my wound the way she does.

"Go back, anak." I can hear her but all I can see is pure brightness.

I couldn't find my Mom. But I can hear her clearly... like she's just near me.

"Mom, can I go with you? I miss you so much." I said while my tears came rushing down my cheeks.

"Nina, you're not done yet. You have to fulfill your promise, anak. You need to go back."

"I did it, Mom! I successfully did it! Na-ipakulong ko na po si Daddy! I did what I promised you. I fought for myself, and I won." I sounded so desperate.

Just take me with you, Mommy. Please, take me with you.

"It's not that, Kendra. You did fought for yourself, but it seems like you're still wounded. You have to heal first. Allow yourself to heal from all the wounds that you gained from the past. Live again, anak. Live freely and happily."

"I have no reason to live anymore, Mommy. I just wanted to give justice to what happened to us. And now that I've achieved that, I just want to rest. I am so tired, Mommy."

"You have a lot of reasons to live, hija. Nathan is there, he's waiting for you. There are a lot of people who suffered from the same agony that you have gone through. They are waiting for you to fight and stand with them, Nina. And most especially... your happy self is waiting for you, too."

"Mom..."

"Allow yourself to be happy and free. That's what I want you to promise not me, but to yourself."

I couldn't talk. I felt exhausted from everything.

I really just want to rest from everything that keeps me exhausted.

I want to be in a safe place. I want to be at peace.

"Don't deprive yourself from being happy and free, Nina. There's a bright future ahead of you. There's so many people who is waiting for you to save them. Don't let them down."

Those were the last words I heard before I successfully opened my eyes.

A four white-walled room welcomed my sight. With the deafening silence of the whole room, I knew I was at the hospital.

No one is with me. The room is empty but I know that someone's been here.

I can see Nathan's familiar bagpack and a basket of fruit on the table. There's also some take out food from my favorite fast food.

I heard the slight creaking of the door so I turned to see who came inside.

Nathan's brown hazel eyes met mine.

I was about to smile at him when he turned his back on me.

"Doc! Doc! She's awake!"

After calling for a doctor, he immediately made his way towards me.

His face was laced with concern and longing.

He cupped my face gently before planting a gentle kiss on my forehead.

"Thank God, you're awake." He whispered as he caresses my hair.

"How long was I'm here?" I asked. My voice sounded weak.

"25 hours. Are you hungry? What are you feeling?" He asked but then we heard the door opened so we both turned to see who came inside.

"Doc."

The doctor checked me thoroughly and by the time that Nathan made sure that I was completely fine, that's when I bombarded him with questions.

"Ano bang nangyari?" tanong kong nanghihina pa rin.

Bakit parang lahat ng pagod ko magmula noong mga nakaraang taon ay ngayon ko lang lahat naramdaman?

"Your father made a ruckus. He can't accept the fact that he lost so he stole his body guard's gun to shoot you." He explained.

What the hell? He tried to kill me?!

Oh, what will you expect from that bastard, anyway? Daig niya pa nga ang nasa ibaba sa sobrang sama niya.

"Fortunately, he's bad at shooting. The police report said that he's aiming for your head but then he screwed up and shot you on the side of your body instead. What a crazy son of a bitch." Nathan sounded so mad.

"Nasaan na siya ngayon?"

"In the fucking prison. Nadagdagan pa ang kaso niya dahil sa pag gamit ng baril na hindi naman sa kaniya at sa pagtatangka niya sa buhay mo. He's now suffering behind the bars, Ken. You don't have to worry about him anymore."

Unti-unting bumuhos ang mga luha ko.

I did it.

Nathan came closer to me and he wiped away my tears.

"You're now free, Kendra. I am so happy for you." He whispered before kissing the top of my head.

And in that moment, I gained peace.