Chapter Nine

"Mom, you'd never recognize it. Where we used to make weapons, we now build saddles, wing slings- we even fix dragon teeth. You wouldn't believe how much everything's changed," Hiccup explained enthusiastically.

After starting a fire in the den, Hiccup and his parents began to prepare dinner while Gobber relaxed against a sleeping Grump. They had been reminiscing and telling Valka about all the changes Berk underwent in the past five years.

"Your son's changed Berk for the better. I think we did well with this one, Val", Stoick said affectionately as he placed a hand on her shoulder. The sudden, unfamiliar contact made Valka jump and drop the plate full of fish she'd been holding. The fish splattered across the floor, and one slid towards Toothless and Cloudjumper. Before Toothless could slurp it up, Cloudjumper did the honors.

"Oh," Stoick said with a chuckle. "I got it." While Cloudjumper regurgitated the fish for Toothless, Stoick picked up the platter, salvaging what was left.

"I'm... a little out of practice," Valka explained, embarrassed by her fumble.

Stoick chuckled again. "Well, y'know... I didn't marry you for your cooking."

"I hope not, her meatballs could kill more beasts than a battle ax. I've still got a few knocking around in here," Gobber chuckled while holding his protruding belly. Then, he took a bite of the food Stoick served before spitting it out in disgust and feeding the rest to Grump.

Hiccup stepped forward with a wide smile on his face. "And once you move back in, with all your dragons, Drago won't stand a chance," Hiccup exclaimed, "Everything will be okay!"

"Slow down, son. It's a lot to take in," Stoick informed. Both men glanced at Valka who seemed a bit overwhelmed by everything as she filled a jug with water.

Hiccup nodded as Stoick walked towards Valka. "Oh, gotcha," Hiccup complied. He sat down next to Gobber while Stoick whistled a beautiful tune.

Gobber recognized the melody from the couple's wedding. "Oh, I love this one," he cheered.

"Remember our song, Val?" Stoick approached Valka from behind slowly and started singing, "I'll swim and sail on savage seas, swim with ne'er fear of drowning. And gladly ride the waves of life, if you will marry me. No scorching sun, nor freezing cold will stop-"

"Will stop me on my journey...", Gobber sang loudly and off-key, but stopped, seeing the heated glares from both Stoick and Hiccup. "Sorry," he relented and plopped back in his spot.

After Stoick recovered from Gobber's interruption, he turned back to Valka and softly sang, "If you will promise me your heart... and love..."

Stoick trailed off, waiting patiently for Valka to pick up the melody. But she remained silent.

Dejected, Stoick began to walk away until the most beautiful voice he'd ever known sang, "And love me for eternity. My dearest one, my darling dear, your mighty words astound me. But, I've no need of mighty deeds, when I feel your arms around me." Stoick and Valka were engaged in a traditional Viking dance as they became swept away in the music.

"But I would bring you rings of gold, I'd even sing you poetry," Stoick sang loudly, making Valka laugh, "And I would keep you from all harm if you would stay here beside me.

Valka smiled as she sang joyously, "I have no use for rings of gold. I care not for your poetry. I only want your hand to hold..."

"I only want you near me," Stoick sang as they continued to dance around the den.

The tempo picked up as did their energetic dance while they both sang, "To love to kiss, to sweetly hold. For the dancing and the dreaming. Through all life's sorrows and delights, I'll keep your love inside me. I'll swim and sail on savage seas, with ne'er a fear of drowning. And gladly ride the waves of life if you will marry me!"