Chapter Twelve

When the dragons calmed down, Toothless turned to Hiccup. "You never cease to amaze me, bud," Hiccup said affectionately as he rested his head on Toothless's. "Thank you."

Not a second later Toothless began to lick Hiccup, leaving no inch dry. He managed to pin Hiccup to the ground, continuing his affectionate attack as Hiccup exclaimed, "Toothless! You know that doesn't wash out."

Happy cries filled the air as dragons and dragon lovers reunited. "Amethyst!" Revna and Amethyst were no different. Both of them were glad their other half was safe. Eret watched, relieved that the two of them were finally together again. Seeing Revna happy made him happy and he never wanted her smile to disappear. He found himself thinking he'd do anything to keep the smile on the beautiful Viking warrior's face.

"Stormfly!" Astrid happily embraced her dragon as Stormfly chirped lovingly.

Gobber spread out his arms, welcoming his dragon into his embrace. "Oh, give me a cuddle, Grumpy!"

"Who's my little princess?" Not knowing that Fishlegs and Snoutlout were referring to their respective dragons, Ruffnut spread out her arms, ready to bask in their competitive affections. The boys completely ignored her and ran to their dragons.

Snotlout hugged Hookfang as he chided like a worried, yet relieved parent, "Don't you ever leave again, Hookfang!"

Fishlegs was showering Meatlug in love as he pet and scratched her scaly skin. "Oh, you are. Yes, you are. I missed you so much!"

Ruffnut was a little jealous, but she mostly just missed the attention. Suddenly Barf swooped his head down to his rider's height. "Oh, Barf!" Ruffnut was hugging Barf when Belch swooped down to try and gain some affection. But Ruffnut wasn't amused. "Not you," she groaned as she pushed Belch to her equally annoying brother. Tuffnut was more than willing to hug his dragon.

Skullcrusher landed next to Hiccup, looking for familiarity since his rider was dead. Hiccup soothed his father's companion as Eret approached. "That was some pretty fine dragon wrangling back there," Eret said smugly. "You'd make a good trapper." Skullcrusher headbutted Eret's side, causing the ex-trapper to chuckle in response.

"Y'know, Skullcrusher's gonna need somebody to look after him now," Hiccup offered.

Eret was shocked. "Me?" Not only was Hiccup welcoming him into his community, but he also wanted Eret to take care of the former chief's- his father's- dragon. Even after everything he'd done. Hiccup nodded, knowing he made the right decision, especially after seeing how Revna felt about Eret. Whether she'd admit it or not.

Skullcrusher allowed Eret to touch him, deciding that he was trustworthy. "I'd be honored," Eret said. He was grateful for how welcomed he felt by everyone.

"Besides, with my being chief, I need somebody to look after Revna," Hiccup teased, knowing she was listening. "She tends to get into mischief." Eret chuckled, knowing how true that statement was. Revna definitely had a tendency to get herself into trouble.

"Ha!" Revna's loud chortle startled Eret. Unlike Hiccup, Eret had no idea she was behind him. Chuckling at Eret's reaction, Revna went on to retort Hiccup's jab. "Says the boy that shot down a Nightfury and continued to run away each day to see said Nightfury in secret. Right, Toothless?" The aforementioned dragon nuzzled Revna's hands affectionately.

"Okay, okay," Hiccup relented, "Ya got me."

Revna smiled victoriously. "Mmhm. That's what I thought." Hiccup shook his head at his cousin before pulling her into a long-awaited hug.

"I just want you to be happy," Hiccup whispered into her ear. "He can do that for you."

She smiled before pulling away, planting a small kiss on his cheek. "I am happy," Revna admitted, "And I know that he could make me happier. Thanks for looking out for me... like always. I don't know what I would do if I didn't have you by my side."