Sledding

*Prompt:Write about two people going sledding for the first time in many years*

It was a snowy Saturday morning and Alice and Alfred were enjoying getting to sleep in after a long week of work. That is, they were enjoying sleeping in until their 3 year old son Alan crawled into bed with them and tried to wake them up. "Mama" He said, patting his mother's face. Alice groaned and slowly opened her eyes. "Hi Alan. You gonna wake up Papa too?" She asked, brushing her son's hair out of his face. He nodded and giggled, turning to his father and getting right next to his ear. "Papaaaaa" Alan whispered. "Papa wake up!" Alan giggled. Alfred groaned and rolled over to face Alan and Alice. "Hi" He mumbled, still half asleep. "Hi white rabbit" Alice laughed, smiling at her husband's adorable bedhead. "I wanna play in the snow!" Alan interrupted. Alfred chuckled and Alice kissed the top of Alan's head. "What do you think white rabbit? Wanna join Alice and the March Hare for an adventure in the snow?" Alice asked her husband. Alfred sat up and stretched. "Of course! Alan and I will go look for the winter clothes. Right buddy? You gonna help me look for snow pants?" He asked his young son. "No!" Alan giggled. "I wanna make waffles wiff Mama!" Alice laughed. "Okay, Alan will help me make breakfast while you look for the winter clothes." She said and gave Alfred a quick kiss before picking up Alan. "Waffles!" he exclaimed. Alice laughed. "Alright bud, we can make waffles."

"Mama it sounds like a bird!" Alan exclaimed as the waffle maker beeped, signifying the final waffle was ready. "It sure does bud! You wanna go find Papa and tell him that breakfast is ready?" Alice asked. "Otay!" Alan said and ran off. Soon the little family had all finished breakfast and were getting bundled up to head outside. "Alice." Alfred said in his well known white rabbit voice. "I believe you have my gloves?" Alice bowed and took the gloves from where she'd kept them in her pocket. "Your gloves my lord!" She exclaimed, trying not to laugh. Alan giggled at his parents as they each took one of his hands. "Alright, let's go!" Alfred said, opening the door to the bright white outside. The family trudged through the snow stopping at their garden shed to grab Alfred's old wooden sled from when he was a child. Alice and Alfred hadn't been sledding since their freshman year of college when they'd had a holiday party with friends and they figured their son was finally old enough to go sledding down the tiny hill at their local park. Alfred dragged the sled along with Alan riding on it as Alice narrated their journey. "Alice walked the long path through the snow, her white rabbit holding her hand by her side on a white crystal day with plenty of time. And behind them on an old sturdy pine sled was the March Hare, making a snowball to throw at his dad." This took Alfred aback for a second. "Wait, what?" He said, turning around to see Alan throw a snowball that landed in the snow next to the sled. "Oh, it missed!" Alan said with a giggle. "That's okay buddy, we can make more snowballs at the park. Are you excited to go sledding?" Alice asked. "Yeah!" Alan responded. The park was in sight now, with the little hill in the distance. The hill was fairly wide, but really not too tall. It was just about up to Alice's waist in terms of height. "Alrighty bud, this is it" Alfred said as he stopped by the hill. "Woah. It's a biggest hill I ever seen!" Alan exclaimed, jumping off of the sled. "Yep! I'll take the sled up and Mama will take you up okay?" Alfred said. "Otay!" Alan exclaimed. Alice and Alfred each took turns sledding with their son for awhile before it got too cold outside. As the little family headed on home it began to snow. They spent awhile in their front yard catching snowflakes before going inside to read a chapter of their favorite book.