Family

Alice stood in the nursery looking down into her son's crib. Baby Alan had been sleeping for a while now, and Alice stood, just watching him. Her son. Her and Alfred's son. Just two weeks old, so incredibly tiny. Alice couldn't believe he was real. She and Alfred had both wanted kids, they'd both wanted to have a family, but Alice still couldn't believe that this was real. Here she was, married to the man she'd loved for years, having just given birth to his son. "Hey love" Alfred said from behind her, wrapping his arm around her waist. "Why are you crying honey? What's wrong?" He asked, gently brushing a tear from Alice's face. "Nothing's wrong Alfred, I'm just so happy. I mean just look at him. That's our son. Our son. We made a person. A sweet little person. He's so precious. I never knew a human could be so tiny." Alice chuckled softly through her happy tears. Alfred kissed her head and wiped at her tears again. "He might just be the most perfect little baby in the entire world." Alfred said. Alice snuggled into Alfred's embrace, resting her head against his shoulder. "When I was a teen I never thought that this would happen. I thought I'd have to wait for you forever. Even when we first started dating I wondered how long until you got tired of wonderland. Every day I marvel at how lucky I am Alfred. I get to have you. I get to be yours, and to have you as mine. And now we have a family. A little baby boy." she whispered. Alfred kissed her head again, pulling her in closer to him. The two held each other, pressed together, as Alfred pet her head. "I'm always here Alice, I'm not leaving, I'm never gonna leave you, I love you Alice. I love you and our son more than I ever knew I could. When you were pregnant my mom would always say "oh you love the baby now but wait until it's born, your whole world changes when you become a parent" and I brushed it off and thought I understood, but then when Alan was born I really understood. Alice, you and Alan are the most important people in my life. I'm never gonna leave you two. I promise." The two stood there for a while, just holding onto each other before Alan gave a little cry in his sleep. "Oh buddy" Alice whispered, turning back towards the crib to face her son. Alan had gone quiet again, the only sound being his little breaths as he slept. "I think that's our cue to go to bed before he wakes up again in a few hours." Alfred whispered, taking Alice's hand. Alice smiled and nodded, letting Alfred lead her back to their bedroom. As the two of them lay down together in bed Alice kissed Alfred's forehead, snuggling into his warm embrace as they went to bed.