Thomas [1] - First sight

Thomas just came out the box and he's now having a Glade tour with Alby

Thomas just came out the box and he's now having a Glade tour with Alby. The leader explains him (almost) everything, from the rules to the different jobs... But when he sees you come back from the maze, Thomas is speechless.

"Who put us in here?" Thomas questions.

"I don't know, Greenie! Can you just shut it and let me talk?" Alby asks, annoyed.

"Right. Sorry..."

Alby keeps walking around the Glade, followed by Thomas. Suddenly, a loud thud resounds, causing the Greenie to jump.

"What is this?" He asks.

"That's the gates" Alby explains. "They open every morning and close at sunset"

Thomas hears a clatter and turns head to the doors closing. He's surprised as he sees a bunch of boys running pass them.

"Wait - I thought no one could get out of here..." Thomas says, frowning.

"It's different for them. They're runners" Alby answers.

"Runners?"

"Yes. They're the strongest and fastest of us" Alby says. "They go through the maze every morning, and look for a way out..."

Among the runners, there's only one girl. She's fit, with Y/H/C hair fixed in a ponytail, Y/E/C eyes and Y/S/T skin. She and her mates, a tall and well-built Asian boy and a strawberry blonde-haired boy jog in the Glade in the direction of Alby and Thomas.

"You really scared me this time, shanks!" Alby tells them.

"Sorry about that" the Asian boy said. "The lady had a primary emergency"

"Shut up, Minho!" The girl says, leaning down to catch her breath.

Alby turns to Thomas.

"Greenbean. These are Minho, Ben and Y/N"

"Hi!" Ben says.

Thomas doesn't answer. He's staring at the female runner, suddenly speechless.

"Greenie?" Alby calls.

"When did he arrive?" Minho asks.

"This morning" the leader responds. "And he was much more talkative, then... Actually, he was until you arrived..."

Minho and Ben scoff.

"Another one who's been struck by Y/N's charms..." Minho says.

The girl walks ahead, rolling eyes up.

"Let's just go to the maproom. We have some work to do, remember?" She says.

The boys chuckle, before following her into the woods. Thomas stares as Y/N runs away, her ponytail moving gracefully at each of her moves.

"What happened, Greenbean? You've been very quiet, suddenly..."

Thomas turns to Alby.

"How can I become a runner?" He asks.

Alby chuckles.

"Keep dreaming, Greenie! The role of runner is for the more robust of us" he says. "Now, come with me. I'll show you the Homestead"