Being Thorough

This sounds like it could be a lot of fun.

I look over the books on the table as I listen to Dawn in the kitchen.

Not that I totally understand how it's all going to work exactly, but it could still be fun. The potentials need to get some real experience as a slayer to understand what it's like. Right now the only way they get that is if I die, and I'm not in any hurry to see that happen. This could give them a valuable lesson in the kind of power they need to get a handle on. I know I could've used some training in that way before it happened to me. Things might have been a lot better for me if I understood what was coming.

I was so in love with the power of it all that I couldn't see straight. It made me want to do and say things I probably shouldn't. Letting lose just seemed like the thing to do. My first Watcher tried to warn me about the danger of what I was doing. That it would end badly for me and people around me, but I wasn't about to listen. Why would I? They couldn't understand the type of power that I had. They couldn't know about the opportunities it opened up for me. So they weren't worth listening to.

Of course, in the end it was my Watcher who payed the price for me not being willing to be more cautious. I got them killed because I thought Kakistos wouldn't be that big a deal compared to me. He proved how wrong I was about that. Even then I couldn't accept that I was wrong though. I ran from Kakistos and from seeing the truth of what was going on.

So I went looking for Buffy. Clearly she was just like me and so she would understand who I was and what was going on. Which didn't really work out in the end. As much as I might have wanted her to understand me, she wouldn't. It's not until years later that I realized she was right. Not until I'd gone completely off the rails and even after spending 8 months in a coma that I really understood what was going on. I wasn't the one who had it right. I shouldn't use the power I had for the wrong reasons.

If this spell that Dawn came up with can help them avoid some of the mistakes that I've made over the years, then how can I not support it? I'm sure Buffy will have her issues with it when she finally hears about it. She'll object to giving the girls this kind of power, even temporarily because they aren't ready for it. And she might be right. But it's still an important test for them and to really understand what it means to be a slayer.

Dawn drops something in the kitchen, and it has me worried.

"You okay DK?"

"Yeah, I'm good."

I guess she doesn't need my help.

Just then, my cellphone vibrates on the counter and I pick it up to see who it is.

Well speak of the devil.

I hit answer on the phone and put it to my ear.

"Hey B, how's LA?"

"It's... good..."

That sounds totally convincing.

"What's up B? Everything okay?"

"Yeah, it's fine. I'm just... calling to check in. See how things are."

I chuckle at that.

"And you called me? Wow I've really gone downhill if you're calling me for reliable intel on what's going on."

She chuckles back but less enthusiastically.

Something's definitely up but she doesn't want to tell me.

"I guess so. Anything important going on?"

"Not really. Things are just like they were when you left. Kinda annoying actually. I may go out and do a patrol just to break up all the boredom."

"Okay, well... be careful, maybe take a few of the guys with you. In case of anything."

"Aww, it's cute that you care that much B. Don't worry, I'll go out and be safe."

There's a long pause in the conversation before she says anything.

"So how's Dawn?"

"She's good. Don't worry, I won't take her out on patrol with me if I do. She's actually here right now if you want to talk to her, I can get her if you want..."

"No, uh... no, it's okay. I trust you. I'm sure everything's fine. I just wanted to call and ask. Could you... can you do me a favour though?"

A favour?

"Sure B, what's up?"

"Just... keep an eye on her for me would you?"

Well that's weird.

"Is there some reason why you think I wouldn't?"

"No, I just... want to know she's okay."

Something's definitely wrong.

"You're sure everything's all right B?"

"Yeah... everything's fine."

Obviously she's not going to tell me whatever's wrong over the phone.

"Okay B..."

"Say hello to the gang for me, will you?"

"Sure..."

"Okay, see you in a few days."

"See ya then."

I hang up the phone and Dawn comes in with the Chinese food we'd just had ordered.

"Someone call?"

"Yeah, your sister."

She sets down something for me and sits next to me with hers.

"Everything okay?"

"Sounds like she's having a lot of fun."

Her head leans against my shoulder as she starts to dig into her food.

"Good. I'm glad. She deserves it."

"You're right about that."

We fall into silence together for a while.

"So what do you think?"

Think?

"About what?"

"About the plan. Do you think it would work?"

"I don't know DK. I mean, it certainly looks like you and Willow were very thorough."

"We were definitely thorough."

Why does it sound like she's joking about that?

"I'm just worried that we missed something."

"Isn't that why you're going to have Giles go over it before we go ahead? I'm sure he's going to see anything you might have missed. But from the way you laid it out for me, I can't see that happening."

She pulls her head up so we can look at each other.

"Thanks baby..."

I smile at her.

"Any time."

I love this woman so much.

"I love this woman so much