chapter: twenty-six

surviving

"Welcome back, I'm glad that you all decided to come back. Because it has been a while since our last meeting, I suggest that we are going to brush up on your skills, today. So please, partner up!" Harry opened the first DA meeting since last year and our fellow students applauded; just as Ron, Hermione, Fred, George, Ginny, and me.

Lots of familiar faces were found in the crowd of students; people who also attended last year. But also some of the first years came. So young and innocent, yet so willing to learn. Some of them probably didn't take that seriously; thought it would be fun and games — either way, it is good that they were here; they're going to learn even if they think we're just doing it for fun.

Most of the students were scared, though, which is very understandable. All of us have been scared. Some were just better at hiding it than others.

Cedric Diggory also attended, such as Cho Chang. Apparently, they're dating. Good for him. I'm glad that he is happy. But after what happened with Draco, he tries to avoid me as best as he can. Greeting me with a wave of his hand, but that was all.

"Scar, could you partner up with Neville?" Harry snuck up behind me and placed his hand on my upper back. "He is good, you know that as well as I do. But since it has been a while, he's quite insecure about his abilities," he whispered, so no one else could hear.

Neville is a sweetheart and one of the bravest people I've ever met, but he keeps being insecure about himself and he underestimates himself even though I'm pretty sure he'll be the one saving our asses in the end.

"Besides, you're my best student," added Harry with a wink before he left to check up on his other students, and I walked over to Neville.

Harry tried his best to make up for what he said. He apologized multiple times and I accepted, obviously. I knew that he didn't mean it. It just slipped out in the heat of the moment. Furthermore, in times like this, we should not push the ones we love away.

He still didn't want Draco to attend, though. But I didn't fight him about this anymore since I've got a plan.

"Hey, Nev," I said as I reached the spot where Neville was at. He nervously played with his wand in his hands, and his gaze was glued to it. "Hi, Scarlett," his gaze only released from his wand for a quick second before it landed on it again. "Are you okay?" I asked him.

"Just pretty nervous. It has been a while; I tried to practice on my own, but it's not the same," he stammered. "Look, that's what we're here for," I encouraged softly, "You use every spell we've learned last year on me and I'm sure that you will manage this, okay? Let's start with something simple; disarming."

I positioned myself a few steps away from Neville and pointed my wand at him. "Are you sure, Scarlett?" questioned Neville nervously while he found the right position for himself; pointing his wand at me.

"I won't break, I promise," I sent him an encouraging smile.

"Expelliarmus!" shouted Neville after he hesitated for a moment, and my wand flew out of my hand immediately. Neville let out a sigh of relief and I clapped my hands, "See, you can do this!"

Throughout the lesson, Neville practiced every defensive spell that we've learnt last year on me, and he handled every single one of them almost effortlessly.

"That was amazing, Neville!" I complimented at the end of the lesson. "Don't underestimate yourself. You're so good. I'm glad to have you on my side when hell breaks loose." I placed my hand on his shoulder to signal the respect I have for him. My words made Neville slightly blush. "Thank you, Scarlett," he said shyly.