chapter: twenty-nine

lifetime

Summer break.

I've always hated the summer breaks, ever since I came to Hogwarts. Even more when my mother passed away in third year.

Ever since then, Ron offered me to spent the holidays with him and his family at the Burrow. I have always refused, though. It would have been too much to ask for, in my opinion. The Weasleys always treated me, such as Harry and Hermione, as a part of the family, but I would've felt bad if I stayed over the whole summer — like a burden.

So it became kind of a tradition that Harry, Hermione, and I came over at least one day — sometimes even the whole weekend — before school would start again.

This year, though, we decided that it would be best if we would already visit the Burrow at least a week before school would start — none of us planned to attend our last year at Hogwarts, though.

Harry had Dumbledore's permission — no, his order — to plan the Horcrux hunt in detail over the holidays and to go looking for them when the school year would begin.

The train ride from Hogwarts to London provoked an almost unbearable feeling within my stomach as I watched how the castle became smaller and smaller until I wasn't able to see it anymore at all.

Harry and Ron talked intensely about the plan they've had so far with Hermione listening closely. I tried to listen to their conversation as well. It was important and I really did try, but I zoned out and thoughts over thoughts dazed my brain.

I wanted to go on that hunt with Harry and the others; I was the first one to volunteer. But I was not going to conceal the fact that I would miss Hogwarts and everything about it like hell.

Hogwarts; that place had been my home for years. My shelter.

And now I was supposed to leave it — maybe never even coming back — without saying a proper goodbye.

It was my decision, I knew that. And I would've made the same again, and again, but it would still hurt the same.

"Scarlett, are you even listening?" Hermione asked, and I finally snapped back to reality. "I'm sorry," I responded, "What were you guys saying?"

"Harry enlightened us why Dumbledore wanted to speak with him before the carriages arrived." Hermione squinted to Harry, who sat across from her, to indicate him to enlighten me as well.

"He, Dumbledore, will contact me and we will often meet up to discuss the plan during the break." Harry's voice wasn't as firm and determined as I was used to. He sounded rather unsteady.

"I'll tell you guys all about it when we meet at the Burrow." I nodded and Harry quickly averted his gaze from me. What the hell?

For the rest of the train ride, I decided to listen to my friends' conversation. After they stopped talking about the plan and began to chat about irrelevant things, my thoughts caught up with me again.

After the train had slowly entered the platform 9 3/4 in King's Cross, the feeling within my stomach didn't vanish. Instead, I felt like I had to throw up.

The red hair of Mr. and Mrs. Weasley stood out in the crowd which made it easier for the Weasley children to find their parents.

To the side of Mr. Weasley stood Hermione's parents, who were involved in a pleasant conversation with him.

The spark that appeared in the eyes of Mr. and Mrs. Granger, and the smile that was decorating their faces as their eyes finally caught Hermione, was the most heartwarming thing I've ever witnessed.