Chapter 2- Girl Power

Just as I had told Jack, I returned to Atlas. And even though I had my bags, I didn't bring them with me. If my plan failed, I didn't know what I'd do. Every moment of my life depended on joining Atlas.....but I had yet to understand why.

"Hey Keona!" Jack held out his arms for a hug.

"You have two arms I see," I walked past him, not hugging him.

"It's a gift from Irons," Jack seemed to simplify. "What's up with you?

"Where is he?" I demanded, turning to, almost, be nose to nose with Jack.

"Irons is a busy man," Jack blinked calmly.

"Too busy to talk to me?" I guessed and sighed when Jack nodded slowly. "Figured."

"You really aren't going to let this go are you?" Jack clasped his hands together while sitting down.

"No," I didn't look at him. "There's something telling-

"Mitchell, you need to.....oh," a blonde haired, British-accented man stepped in and stopped short. "Sorry, lass."

"Apology accepted," I smiled slightly. "You are?"

"Captain Gideon," the man held out his hand slowly. "You can call me Gideon. Your name is?"

"Keona," I paused as I shook Gideon's hand, "Keona Davis."

"You know Mitchell?"

"I was his best friend's fiance," I blinked.

"Mitchell," Gideon turned to speak to the man waiting patiently, "it's time for a second check-up on that arm."

Before Gideon had turned, changing the subject, I saw sadness flash in his eyes. Did he feel bad for me? Had he somehow known William?

"Another session after?" Jack asked.

"Irons needs to be sure that it won't fail in combat," Gideon seemed to agree.

"I need to speak to him," I burst into the conversation and then felt my cheeks turn a faint pink from embarrassment.

"Irons?" Gideon looked at me and I nodded. "He's barely talking to us right now, so he sure as hell won't talk to you."

As gentle as his voice sounded, I still took offence to what Gideon said.

"I'm going," I was short compared to Gideon-barely five nine- so I stood on my tippy-toes to reach his height of five ten. "You can't stop me."

His blue eyes didn't look away from mine. I felt a shiver down my back and then Gideon smirked.

"Fine. You can come. Just try to keep up."

With that, Gideon turned around and started to walk out the doors he had come in. Jack glanced at me and then started following him. Kicking it into gear, I started after the two men.

"Irons is not going to be happy about her being here," Gideon was walking next to Jack.

"I can hear you, you know," I snapped, walking behind them closely. 

"Good," Gideon sneered.

We walked across two roads-one went right, the other left-and then went down stairs. I was curious what each gadget was, but I kept my mouth shut. Of course I knew some of the weapons, but the technology that people were testing amazed me to levels I didn't know were possible.

"Technician is in there," Gideon tipped his head to two double doors. "We'll be waiting out here, Mitchell."

I watched as Jack went into the room behind the double doors, disappearing as they closed. Don't leave me alone with this guy. I silently pleaded, but I knew my wishes weren't going to come true.