Chapter 18- I'm Not Your Protector

War is a scary thing. Many think that they will leave it to the bravest people to defend them, but the boldest can only do so much. They can only defend innocent people until they are dead and someone else takes charge.

In a soft summer breeze, when the curtains were open and the sun was setting while we sat on the couch, William had once told me that there were three C's to life.

Choices, Chances, and Changes.

"You must make a choice to take a chance or your life will never change," his breath had been cooler than the air around us.

There were no choices now. There were no chances, no changes to be made. No nothing.

Irons had almost completely taken over. We were close to finished, letting a man with the wrong idea in his head take over the worlds' military forces. People fight naturally- in forces, in relationships, in life. Letting Irons take that natural instinct away would make the world a living hell. Not only would he stop the world's wars, but he would soon enslave and use his power greedily.

And there was no possible way of stopping him, was there?

~~~

"Suit up," Mitchell's voice drew my attention away from the holographic sight my vision was trained in on.

"Why?" I pulled away from the Bal-27 my hands held against my shoulder.

"Cormack wants us to aid in helping to stop Irons' attack in San Fransisco," Mitchell leaned against the doorway.

His hair was long and messy, as always, making his bright blue-green eyes pop out instantaneously. Always full of kindness, Mitchell's eyes were unlike anything normal. He had a green ring right around his pupil that faded into the bright blue the rest of his eye color was. With thick, relaxed lips Mitchell had a thin jaw that came down to a round, pointed chin. He always had a light blanket of facial hair along his cheeks, chin, and upper lip. I couldn't help but smile at the fully healed man.

"Sounds fun," I hung my Bal-27 on the rack with the others.

"What's with you nowadays?" Mitchell stopped me in front of him and I raised an eyebrow. "You're so....so intrepid."

"What's wrong with that?" I snapped.

"Listen, Keo, if it's about something with Gi-

"It has nothing to with him!" I hissed. "Or you!"

Honestly it wasn't. I had just changed over the past few weeks into something that wasn't me. The ignoring and shunning from Gideon wasn't bugging me as much as I thought it would. He hadn't spoken to me since our first kiss and I didn't understand exactly why. If he proved he loved me, then wouldn't he talk and hang around me?

Shoving my way past Mitchell, I went to the other part of the armory. My uniform, Exo, and extras were in a small locked locker. To make matters even worse, I managed to run straight into Gideon.

"Watch where you're going!" Gideon hissed from underneath me.

"Warn me next time!" I snapped back, pushing off him harshly.

"You are to be out in the Rec. room in ten minutes," Gideon stood up quickly, his height towering over mine. "No excuses."

"None to be thought of," I growled and then went to change in the women's room.

Before I could fully get around the corner, I managed to glance to see Gideon staring after me. His gaze was narrowed, but full of something I couldn't understand.