Chapter 4- A Chance With Awkwardness

"What should....I wear...to..dinner?" I murmured as I typed in a text to Mitchell.

Almost instantly, a text came back. Casual. Ilona doesn't care for fancy.

Thank you. I set my phone down and began searching through my closet for something casual to wear.

In the clothes I had brought to Atlas with me, I found a cream-colored baggy shirt, blue skinny jeans, and black flats with white on them. Under the baggy shirt I wore a white spaghetti-strap tank top. I put on make-up, putting some mascara, eyeliner, blue-green eyeshadow, and lip gloss. Keeping my hair natural-wavy-I put on my shoes by the door.

People wore clothes like this in a military base, right?

~~~

"Hey Keona," Mitchell met up with me in the hallway. "The party is actually at Ilona's, so I'll walk with you there."

"Okay," I blinked. "Do you think I'm over-dressed?"

"No," Mitchell was wearing black baggy cargo pants and a t-shirt. "You did casual. You're good."

Smiling, we continued walking in silence.

"Mitchell!" a woman with her hair in a bun peeked her head out of a doorway to the left of us.

"Hey Ilona," Mitchell started walking over to her. "This is Keona-

"You're the bitch that beat my high score," Ilona's brown eyes looked directly into my blue ones. "Why are you so fancy?" her Russian accent made my eyes narrow.

"This is casual," I replied smoothly.

"To you," Ilona held my gaze.

"Ladies," Mitchell broke between us, "if you don't mind I'd like to eat now."

Ilona turned around, not saying anything and we followed her into the large room the dinner was set up in. Mitchell stayed close to me, as if wanting to include me if someone said something to him. I got what he was trying to do. Ever since Susan had died, I was anti-social. Will and Mitchell both worked so hard to get me to go to parties, but their trying never paid off. Mitchell was trying to do that now...introduce me to everyone. I already knew Gideon, Joker, and him. Ilona, even though I said one thing to her, could technically fit under the "already met" category.

"You did show up," Gideon walked up to us.

"I said I would," Mitchell shrugged.

"You hear about the new equipment that came in today?" Gideon went on talking with Mitchell.

Without being noticed, I left the two men to go find something to drink. I jumped when I bumped into Joker, making him stop pouring himself a drink.

"Oh, hey Keona!" Joker smiled.

Joker seemed like the only one who was happy to see me here. "Hey, Joker."

"You want to see something cool?" Joker lowered his voice so we didn't catch everyone's attention.

"Sure," I followed the friendly man out onto a balcony.

"This gives you a perfect view of a lot of the base," Joker shut the slider door halfway and rested his elbows on the railing.

I did the same, looking at the surprisingly beautiful view of the base. Joker's eyes on me made my eyes move to look at him. "What?"

Chuckling, Joker shrugged. "Nothing. You're just so...hidden. You barely speak and you barely train with the rest of us. I'm just wondering what's going on inside your little brain of yours."