Chapter 8- Dramatic Changes

Four Years Later:

The truck motor continued to purr as I rounded a corner to enter the downtown part of the town called Buck Hill. A gas station caught my eye not far off the freeway, so I turned to get off the busy road.

"The terrorist known as Hades is supposedly dead, according to Atlas corporation's president Jonathan Irons. One of our reporters is in getting the story now," the music switched to an important broadcast.

"I could've been there," I muttered.

"Ma'am, what do you want?" the young male employee broke through my thoughts.

"Another chance," I got a weird look from the kid. "Fill it with Diesel."

Nodding and taking the card I was holding out, the employee left the side of the car to do what I asked. Sitting back, I quietly listened to the radio.

"Jonathan Irons is behind these doors with his best assets," the female reporter was saying.

She thinks of him as some famous person. As someone who walks on water. I thought, narrowing my eyes. How wrong she is....

"There you go, all set," the kid came back, handing me my card.

"Thank you."

The sudden noise like a loud fan in my ear made me look up in the sky. A large chopper on fire was spinning towards the gas station.

"MOVE!" I jumped out of the truck and tackled the employee to the ground, protecting him from the explosion.

The chopper barely got over the gas station and then crashed into a neighborhood of houses. Getting up off of the young employee, I looked around as more sounds of battle came into play.

"What's going on?" the employee asked.

Crouching down to be eye-level with him, I patted his shoulder and straightened his name tag. "Hey, what's your name? Dylan?"

A short nod came from the shocked young male.

"Well Dylan, I'm Keona and I'm going to get you outta this okay? Just follow me!" I looked him in the eyes, holding his shoulder.

"O-okay," Dylan blinked.

"We need to get where everyone else is heading," I looked around and helped him up.

"The large Costco," Dylan pointed to the Costco a few minutes to the left of us. "The mayor has a plan for things like these if they happen."

"Alright," I glanced at him. "Keep up!"

It didn't take us long to start running down the sidewalks towards where everyone was trying to get into Costco. Besides more choppers and vehicles, there wasn't a war actually going on.

"My leg! Keona!" Dylan cried out and I turned to see his shin stuck under a fallen tree.

The trees on the sides of the main road were sturdy, but even the choppers were knocking them down. One was now propped up by a parked car and pinching Dylan's leg by the sloped hill it had once sat on.

"On a count of three, push as hard as you can!" I got under the tree and looked at a pained Dylan. "One, two, three...."

The tree moved just enough so that Dylan could slip out from under it. I rolled away from it as the car roof caved in and the tree hit the ground fully.

"Thank you," Dylan panted.

"Can you walk?" I examined his bleeding leg, pulling my belt off of my jean shorts.