Chapter 23- Surprise!

"Come on, Gideon," Mitchell motioned to the man leaning angrily against the door of the car. "Say surprise!"

"Surprise," Gideon growled, keeping his arms crossed.

I could only laugh. "For what?"

"It's a surprise," Mitchell stood across from where I held the door excitedly. "I can't tell you."

"Am I getting out of here?" I brightened up.

"Something like that," Mitchell smiled and closed the trunk of the car.

I narrowed my eyes and glanced at Gideon who was getting in. Following his lead, I gently sat down onto the seat of the silver car. Mitchell came up and shut the door.

"It's just a little sorry," Mitchell smiled, leaning through the window.

"Okay," I spoke awkwardly and furrowed my eyebrows.

Mitchell looked past me to Gideon, who was still angry. "Don't get her killed."

"I'll try," Gideon bit back.

I looked at Gideon as Mitchell pulled back off the car. Gideon started rolling away, leaving Mitchell looking after us. I leaned forwards in my seat, my seat belt lengthening, and watched Mitchell through the mirror. He had turned to finish up papers with the hospital.

"Do you know where we're going?" I asked.

"That's why I'm driving right?" Gideon replied.

I looked out my window, confused by his sudden outburst of anger. Gideon kept one hand on the wheel, the other on the armrest between us.

~~~

I knew we were going somewhere a ways away. The airplane I sat on now proved that. Gideon sat next to me, his eyes on the other people around us.

"Would you like something, sir?" a flight attendant rolled her cart up and spoke sweetly.

Gideon turned his head towards me. "Do you?"

I shrugged and shook my head.

"No, thank you," Gideon made the woman smile and move on.

A yawn escaped my lips and I covered my mouth in embarrassment. "Sorry."

"Tired?" Gideon asked.

"No," I stifled another yawn.

Gideon shook his head and then looked away from me. He held his head up to the ceiling, his eyes closing for a moment. Without thinking, I yawned and leaned into his shoulder. I felt him tense and then look down at me.

"Not tired huh?"

"Shut up," I whispered and earned a chuckle.

Gideon gently wrapped his arm around my shoulders and pulled me closer. I liked it when he did that. I could feel his healthy, strong heartbeat. I fell asleep listening to his heartbeat and thinking "he loves me, he loves me not " to it.

~~~

"Your welcome," Gideon spoke to a couple walking past us.

They'd just told him thank you after he let them cross the gravel road in front of us. The car rolled forwards again once they crossed, making me put my head back against the seat.

"You alright?" Gideon glanced at me.

"Yeah," I blinked awkwardly. "Just a little worn out."