Chapter 11- Who to Trust

My days in the hospital were extremely boring. Most of the days that Mitchell would come in, he'd bring something for us to do, but even that didn't satisfy me. I was yearning the outdoors.

"Can we go outside?" I whined from where I sat watching TV.

"Not until you're cleared to," Mitchell said as he always did when I asked a question similar to the one.

"I'm fine," I growled. "I can walk without support now!"

I got up to start walking as fast as my body could manage which was still as slow as a slug.

"Yes, you can," Mitchell came in front of me, grabbing my forearms to let me use him as support. "But one little tweak or wrong move could put us back where we started."

I scowled at him.

"Don't give me that," Mitchell's lips twitched from him trying to control his smirk.

"Well I am," I pouted.

"Does someone need a hug?" Mitchell held out his arms.

Gently walking forwards until I was able to hug him without bending my back, I wrapped my arms around his torso.

"I can't wait to get out of here," I murmured.

"I know you can't," Mitchell stroked my hair once. "When you can on the other hand, we'll go wherever you want."

"To a movie?" I looked up into his eyes.

"Sure."

"A water park?" I smiled even more.

"That actually sounds fun!" Mitchell and I laughed.

"Whatever you want, Keona," Mitchell promised, looking deeply into my eyes.

Even though I smiled happily up at him, I saw something in his eyes. Something that told me he was happy to be around me and that he felt just as save as I did. Did he love me?

Did he think I could love another person after what I had been through? After I got that letter from a tall Marine dressed up in his formal wear? And after I practically tore my house apart, crying buckets of useless salt? After I hurt myself over and over and even tried to kill myself? How could Mitchell think I would love someone again?

"I know I haven't been here long," Mitchell broke me from my thoughts, "but I have to go. There's duties to be done with Sentinel."

My look was blank, I knew it by the look he gave me back. "Okay. Be careful."

As Mitchell left me standing in my hospital room, blank faced, I could only breathe a sigh of relief. My thoughts were safe without him trying to read my expression. I still couldn't believe he would think I could love someone.

~~~

I stirred in my sleep, shifting ever-so-slightly to get more comfortable on the hard hospital bed. My sleep hadn't been good the past two weeks I had been stuck in the hospital.

When a shadow crossed over my face, I opened my eyes slowly. There was someone standing by the window of the room, their back towards me.

"You let me down," the man said.

"Will?" I asked, sitting up.

"He's going to kill you because you killed me!" Will turned, his green eyes narrowed and bright.

"Who?"

"You killed me, Keona," Will took a few steps forwards. "You let me die."