Chapter 16- Party

I sat next to the stage, facing the audience with three other close associates of Irons. Currently, Irons stood on a podium, facing the cameras and the United Nations.

"I am honored to be the first CEO of a private corporation to become a member of the United Nations Security Council," Irons began and I tensed, looking straight at the cameras and knowing that Sentinel was watching this too. "Unfortunately, my appearance today has been clouded by a flurry of speculation that my company is developing a weapon of mass destruction which would be capable of targeting specific ethnic groups. I want to address these allegations head on. Are we developing such a weapon? No we are not," Irons paused and I blinked casually, "because we've already developed it."

A rumble went through the crowd.

"But with all due respect, the United Nations is a relic from a different time when nations were unique in their ability to solve the world's problems. But that just isn't the case anymore. Primarily because you have you have outsourced the job to me. I have sent people to die in your wars. So I feel uniquely qualified to tell you, your wars don't work! Which is why my priorities have changed; from profits to policy. Because politicians don't know how to solve problems. But I do. So let's be clear. I am here to solve the world's problems," Irons leaned forwards, looking right at the cameras." And I believe the world's problems...begin with you."

My gaze shifted to look at him with shock. What the hell was he thinking? Irons was sounding like he was declaring war.

Maybe he was.

~~~

"Miss Davis is to be respected just as much as me," Irons hissed to the man sitting in the courtyard chair.

"I understand, Mr. Irons," the man was young, but older than me by at least five years. His gaze was wide.

Turning around sharply, Irons faced me with a softer expression. "Go with Maria and get yourself fixed up."

Oh....right. I completely forgot.

"What's this party I heard being talked about?" I asked, tilting my head slightly.

"It's a surprise," Irons winked and then walked past to leave me standing alone in the courtyard.

"Come now, love," Maria had a heavy English accent, making me think of Gideon every time she spoke. "You have to help me make a decision about the dress."

It had been two weeks with Irons. Two weeks of pure hell for me. Lots of food, lots of pampering, and lots of time with people. I never had time to be by myself and think. I wanted to think of Mitchell, Ilona, Cormack....of, as much as I didn't want to say it, Gideon.

The English man was the one I missed most of all, even more than my best friend. His calm blue gaze always made me relax and know everything was okay. Even from a small distance, I could smell his aftershave. It always made me breathe deeply and I didn't want to ever let go of the scent.

At some times in the night, I would open up my closet and pull out the shirt that I had worn when we shared a hug. His sweet scent was all over it. I would walk to the edge of my balcony, hug the shirt close and whisper how much I not only missed him, but the others as well.

"Now for the hair," Maria broke me from my thoughts and I realized I was completely dressed for the occasion tonight.

The dress was dark blue and sparkly. With a back made up of thick straps, the stunning dress went down to my feet, tickling the floor. My make-up consisted of mascara, eyeliner, and eye shadow. The eye shadow was a dark blue with gold over it.