Once Upon a Time

Once upon a time, a single drop of sunlight fell from the heavens. From this sunlight, a magical, glowing flower appeared from the earth. It had the ability to heal the sick and injured.

Nearby, years later, a village had been born and was ruled by the King and Queen. Her majesty was expecting, but she got terribly sick. Many of the doctors informed the King that there would be no way to cure her. So, in desperation, he sent out soldiers to look for the rumored magic flower that would be able to save his wife and child. However, what the town did not know, was that the flower was already being used by a selfish man named Dabi. For years, he used the flower's magic to sustain his youth and went to great lengths to make sure no one ever found it. All he had to do was sing a special song:

Flower, gleam and glow

Let your power shine

Make the clock reverse

Bring back what once was mine

What once was mine

One fateful day, when Dabi was in a rush to get away from nearing soldiers, he knocked down the disguise for the magic flower, and the soldiers brought it over to the Queen. It saved her life, and a few weeks later, a baby boy was born. He had bright red hair and fierce red eyes, the new Prince of the town. As a celebration, the King and Queen launched a floating lantern to celebrate the birth of Eijirou Kirishima. 

Unfortunately, that moment of happiness was cut short one night. Dabi snuck into the King and Queen's castle and began to sing the special flower song when he came upon little Eijirou. Almost immediately, his hair began to glow, slowly spreading all across his hair. Dabi chuckled with relief and went to cut a piece of his hair, but was disappointed when the strands of hair turned pitch black. Dabi realized that there would only be one way to sustain his routine, so he took Eijirou and ran away into the night where no one would find them.

The kingdom searched for months, but the little prince was nowhere to be found. Unbeknownst to them, Eijirou was safe and sound in a tall tower with no stairs, hidden away deep in the woods. Dabi was raising Eijirou as his own and used his magic hair to keep himself young as he always had. And this time, Dabi made sure that no one ever found his new magic flower.

"Dad... why can't I go outside?" inquired the young boy.

"The outside world is a very dangerous place, my boy. It's filled with horrible, selfish people who want to use you. You have to stay here so you can be safe. Understood?" Dabi muttered out.

"Yes, Dad..." Eijirou replied sadly.

However, the walls of the tower couldn't hide everything from Eijirou. Every year on his birthday, the King and Queen released thousands of floating lanterns into the sky with the hope that one day the lost prince would return.