Sensitive

Amelia's POV- February 2020
While Chris and Gavin walked ahead talking about...you guessed it, baseball, Natasha and I kept our own pace.

"So how's work?"

I grimaced,

"My students had a midterm last week, so I've been finishing grading" I answered.

She smiled, looking over at Gavin who was completely oblivious to it all.

"How's that going?"

I laughed,

"Just as you think it's going. Thankfully, I planned ahead and need like 5 more. I'll likely finish grading at the airport" I replied.

She smiled,

"Gavin won't let you get any work done?"

I snorted,

"He will not" I confirmed.

I tried last night, and he had the audacity to pout.

"I finished getting ready last night before him, so I thought let me grade an essay before we go" I stated.

I shook my head earning a chuckle from her,

"He missed you"

I missed him a lot, but I thought I could do both.

"I'll get it done by class time Tuesday" I answered.

She nodded,

"How's work?" I asked.

Now it was her turn to grimace,

"I'm sure you've heard about that coronavirus strain"

Alex had been keeping an eye since the start of the new year.

"Yeah" I answered.

She pursed her lips,

"I'm pretty sure I've performed autopsies on people that have died of complications to it"

"Why do you think that?" I wondered.

She wasn't the first to state that the virus was likely in So. Cal, Alex had done so already and so had my dad.

"Because they've all died of complications to an upper respiratory infection"

I hummed,

"That's not good" I noted.

She nodded,

"Yeah"

We continued walking,

"Was your dad okay with you coming?"

"No" I admitted.

He didn't think it was safe to travel and actually suggested I drive to Arizona instead. 

"He gave me some masks and asked I wear them if I was around large gatherings," I told him.

"You do have a compromised immune system, Lia"

It's why I actually wore the mask at the airport and when I was in large gatherings. Yes, I got weird looks but I could care less about what people thought of me.

"Just be careful"

We made our way to the top of the trail, and then made our way back. I was taking a sip of my water bottle when I felt someone tug on my jacket. 

"Hi, excuse me. Are you Amelia Vogel?"

I glanced at Gavin who just smiled at the interaction.

"I am" I confirmed.