Chapter Thirty-Nine.

Taehyung

The next day, Taehyung had plans to go to his mother's small cottage in Daegu and spend the afternoon with her and her new partner. He knew deep down that he was excited, but a small part of him was worried that it would be too much change for one day. Twenty-four hours ago, he was wondering if his mother hated him because of how much he had changed since he left for university. Now, even though he knew that things had changed for the better, it still felt odd.

As Taehyung sat on his hotel bed, gazing out the window, he found himself reaching for his phone. His fingers dialed the all-too familiar number and he put his phone to his ear as it rang.

"Hey, babe! What's up?" Jeongguk's familiar voice came.

Taehyung sighed in relief as a smile lit up his face. "Hey, you. Is this a bad time? I can always call back later."

"No, it's okay. I just finished a tattoo actually, and my next appointment isn't until this afternoon. How'd it go with your mom?"

Taehyung hopped off the bed, heading towards the window and gazing down at the small cars that passed on the road beneath his hotel room. He leaned against the window lifted his eyes towards the sky. "It went really, really well."

"That's great, Taehyung!" Jeongguk exclaimed. He then paused for a moment before his voice came through the receiver again. "Why don't you sound as happy about that as you should?"

"I don't know. It just feels so sudden. I've been used to my parents being together and having their set ways and beliefs, but my mom felt like a different person last night — or at least like the person I haven't known her to be since I was little. I know I should be ecstatic that everything is changing for the better, but I'm just having some trouble with it all."

"That's totally understandable," Jeongguk responded. "You've been through a lot and recovered from a lot, so it makes sense that you don't adapt super well to change. Are you seeing her again before you come home?"

"Yeah, I'm going to her house in an hour to meet her new boyfriend," Taehyung told Jeongguk. "I'm excited, really, but I'm still having doubts about it all. I kinda just wish I could come home now."

Jeongguk chuckled. "I wish you could come home, too, but this is really important for you. You'll be okay, I promise."

"Thank you," Taehyung responded. "I love you a lot."

"I love you, too," Jeongguk's voice came. "I'll talk to you later, okay?"

"Okay," Taehyung responded. He then pressed the red button on his phone to end the call before tossing his phone onto his bed. He always forgot how much he enjoyed talking to Jeongguk, and the younger always knew how to calm him down. Deep down, Taehyung knew he would be okay. He also knew that he would soon adjust to the way things were now — he just needed a little time.

An hour later, Taehyung found himself on the doorstep of his mother's small cottage on the outskirts of Daegu with a bottle of soju in one hand and his phone tightly grasped in the other. He felt rather clammy, and he noticed a tremor in his hand as he raised it to knock the back of his knuckles against the oak door. The home looked as if it were roughly thirty years old, yet it was extremely well-kept. It had recently been painted a nice shade of periwinkle, and the small garden out front was beautifully pruned and cared for.

Taehyung only stood outside for a brief moment before the door swung open, revealing his mother in a simple outfit of jeans and a sweater, fitting for the cool September weather. Yet again, the same silver necklace hung delicately over her slender frame. Taehyung smiled at her and bowed.