Chapter Twenty.

Taehyung

After dinner at one of the beautiful restaurants on the seafront, Taehyung was full and very content. He had eaten enough kimchi stew to make him feel as if he were going to burst, and he couldn't help but glance at Jeongguk multiple times throughout the meal and feel like the luckiest boy in the world.

"Did you have a good time?" Jeongguk asked as they attempted to walk along the beach. Taehyung's crutches had proven to be quite the nuisance, sinking into the damp sand with every time Taehyung attempted to propel himself forward.

"I did," Taehyung replied, his breathtaking smile on full display. "I don't think I'm ever going to eat again after all that."

Jeongguk chuckled, glancing down at Taehyung's crutch as it sunk into the sand yet again. "Maybe we should sit?"

Taehyung nodded to show his agreement. "That's probably a good idea."

With Jeongguk's help, Taehyung plopped down into the sand, observing the sun as it slowly descended towards the sea. The sky was changing colors rapidly, and Taehyung could've sworn he had never seen a more picturesque sunset.

After Jeongguk had sat down next to Taehyung, he placed his head on the older's shoulder. "Thanks for coming here with me."

Taehyung turned his head slightly so he could see Jeongguk. One thing he hadn't realized about the younger was how much he resembled a child despite his age. He was playful, surprisingly gentle, and he never passed on an opportunity to tease Taehyung.

Then Taehyung's mind turned towards the scars, revealing that Jeongguk had been through more than he let on. Somehow, though, he was resilient. He found a way to still be himself when things went awry.

Taehyung frowned, never taking his eyes off the ocean that reflected the setting sun as he found himself deeper and deeper in his thoughts. He may never understand what Jeongguk had been through, or what made him get up on that balcony that night, but he did know one thing: he had been the one to save Jeongguk, and that was worth more than anything he could ever express.

Taehyung wrapped his arms tightly around Jeongguk and pulled him closer.

"What's up, Tae?" Jeongguk asked softly.

Taehyung traced the curve of Jeongguk's bicep with his slender fingers. "I'm just thinking about how glad I am that you're alive."

Jeongguk grinned, and Taehyung could tell it was sincere. "Me too."

-

Eventually, Jeongguk and Taehyung meandered their way back inside the hotel after the sun had set. Jeongguk had carried Taehyung piggy-back style until they reached the sidewalk again, eliciting a few odd stares from those around them.

They tended to forget that not everyone was as open-minded as they hoped.

The journey to their hotel room was a slow one, as Taehyung had wanted to stop and look at all the art that decorated the lobby and hallways. He was a bit of a sucker when it came to admiring art, as it told so many stories-all you had to do was look and allow your mind to wander.

"Look at this one," Taehyung said, pointing at a piece that depicted multiple butterflies fluttering around amidst a patch of lavender. It was right outside their room on the tenth floor. "They kind of look like my butterfly."

Jeongguk noted the detail in the butterflies, complete with complex wings and color patterns. No two were alike. "They're really nice," Jeongguk observes. He then looked over at Taehyung, a single thought on his mind. "Why did you choose a butterfly?"