12. Vikings

Nirya's POV

I knew I was right when an older woman stepped through the crowd of Vikings. I blinked, surprised at this one, yet did not let down my guard. She didn't seem threatening like the others, an aura of peace and calmness seemed to radiate off of her. I didn't trust it, but I was also surprised by how un-Viking-like she looks. Dressed in a mix of leather armor and hides put together like a dress, she looks very different from the other Vikings, like she has been living off of the land with nothing more than whatever she could catch as a way of making clothes. Yet, even more out of place, is a rather large cloak on her shoulders that barely fit her petite frame, large vambraces attached to her shoulders holding Viking runes. It looked like it was designed for someone a lot bigger than her. She was also dressed in a few pieces of fur and cloth that just do not match her stained hides and leather armor, like they were newer.

I lowered myself to the ground more, placing a hand on the ground as I tilted my head while studying this woman. She studied me as well, before speaking.

"I know how ye make armor like that, scales like that are not just ripped off of a dragon. Those are shed scales, from a pure white dragon. The fact that your helmet resembles a dragon's face with a crown of icy spikes atop it's head, and that you have metal claws, tells me you know dragons, not my attacking them, but by living with them, learning from them. I know this, because I too lived among dragons. For 20 years I lived among hundreds of dragons and never spoke to another human. It's how I know you, dear, have also lived for a long time among dragons." The woman said, making me freeze and tense up, my eyes widening as the woman accurately guessed what I am. I tensed up even more as she stepped forward with placating hands gently held out.

"We don't wish to hurt you, or the dragons you are with. In fact, I would imagine, considering the colors of those scales, that those dragons are hiding among these snowdrifts somewhere. You are protecting them, but we don't harm dragons. We live with them. If you want to see..." She said, stepping to close for my comfort as I hissed and leaned away from her. She stopped, staring at me with calm and caring eyes.

"Follow us down to the beach, we won't come any closer to those you guard, but see for yourself that we too care for dragons." She finished as I stayed still, the rest of them behind her still and silent as I stared up at the woman, uncertainty running through me as I met her eyes, blinking in surprise at her... blue eyes. I have never seen eyes any other color than brown or black in the north, just like the color red of my hair is completely abnormal in the north. Seeing blue eyes... I have only seen blue eyes in dragons, that being my sisters... But something about them was kind of calming. There was a caring, motherly nurturing look in her eyes that tugged painfully at my soul, make her eyes bigger and add a purple around the pupil instead of blue and you would have mother, Wintra.

I feared for my sister... but I had to know if, finally, Misty and I might have found others like us, and if, maybe, we can find safety among them, away from Bes. I would do anything to spare Misty the pain she suffered that horrible night, I would give my very life willingly to see Misty safe and happy for the rest of her days. If they kill me... so be it. If there is even the slightest chance I can find a safe haven for my sister to be happy and free... I won't hesitate.

I stood, surprising them all as I dusted snow off my armor and put my claws back into my gauntlets with a click, seeing the surprise on several of their faces as I did so before pulling my war hammer off of my back, seeing many of them tense at the sight of such a deadly weapon but I merely held it in my hands, running my fingers along several purple tinged white scales and shiny silver coins, a gift from mother that she brought back for me, the shiny's were to entertain me as a baby. I looked up at the woman, calmly waiting.

"Alright, I will follow you down to the beach. But... if any of you are lying to me... I will prove just how strong I am with this hammer." I muttered, seeing the fat man at the back squeak in fear. The woman in hides just smiled before slowly backing up back into the fold of humans as they turned, making their way down the hill. I didn't miss that the tough looking man with two swords and the woman with the axe were at the back of the pack, walking backwards to keep their eyes on me. I waited till they were farther down the hill before glancing over my shoulder, seeing a single blue eye poking out of the snow, breaking my heart at seeing the fear in Misty's eyes.