23. Feeding Station

Misty's POV

I pretended to be sleeping, terrified to speak one on one with these dragons, I've hardly spoken to a dragon beyond my mother since... I don't know how long. And it scares me, especially speaking to the Alpha again. I know he's of related kind to me, and we could be the last of both our respective Fury kinds, but I... I don't think I could face talking to him again without running away in terror of making some mistake. So I pretended to sleep while Nirya interacted with them and returned to her work...

I twitched, realizing... I hadn't heard Nirya's footsteps in a bit, and I can't hear the softer sound of her polar bear skin cloak in the wind entering the hut. Shakily, cautiously, I lifted my tail just enough to peek out and look around... I noted with fear I could see four midnight black paws resting peacefully on the ground as I cautiously raised my tail some more, I first saw the Alpha laying on the ground with his head tilted as he studied me. I met his astonishingly green eyes in shock. I quickly looked down, shy and embarrassed. I don't know how to exactly act around him, he's the Alpha, even now I can hear the constant resonating low hum from him, the very sound a sign to all dragons this is someone you do not cross, and someone you treat with respect.

Having never been a part of a colony and never having had a Queen... well these responses are very new to me. I feel obligated to look down and not meet him in the eye. I know proper standings from my mother because she met an Alpha in the past, she often explained to me how to properly treat an Alpha. Her words often were 'Alpha's are the great defenders of our race, of all dragons, they are our great guardians and should be treated with respect. They are the one who would put their life on the line to depend their own, and they are the reason we dragons can still roam and thrive. Always treat them with respect, and they will defend you as one of their own. As we are a sup species of Alpha, some may feel threatened by us if we are in any form hostile, as we hold the ability to overtake their place. As long as you respect an Alpha and show you have no intentions of taking their claim, they will accept you.'

She used to describe the Alpha she met in the past, and the statue outside of Berk on that small sea stack looks a lot like my mother's descriptions. I wondered if Toothless fought and killed what my mother called the Peaceful Alpha. Somehow I doubt that, as he seems to be a very caring and kind Alpha. I can tell there is some gaps in the story.

I shakily stood on my three paws, avoiding the Alpha's eyes as I watched in surprised as Meatlug walked over to a pile of lightly frosted rocks from... from some of my work trying to expand the back cavern of this hut this morning. She sniffed the lightly frosted rocks curiously before biting into one with a horrible crunch sound. I grimaced at that sound, I'm sure if those were rocks blasted by my mother I'd be warning Meatlug off of trying to bite into them, but my blasts... Well, she has no worry of breaking teeth. Still, I hope her stomach can handle frost.

So distracted was I by watching the Gronckle eat the few small rocks covered in frost from my fire that I totally forgot for a second I was looking for Nirya. I stood up straight, my ear unintentionally flattening to my neck as I spun around, frantically looked from Nirya and seeing no signs of her. Not even her hammer and it's holster was sitting against our still packed goods... I noted her bag of tools was gone too.

"Nirya? Sister? Nirya?" I called out as I spun, getting more and more nervous and terrified as she didn't respond. I was afraid to face these dragons with my sister here, but I am utterly terrified of facing them on my own. Nirya and I might have been apart while on Haven Island while we were staying there, but we were always within calling distance of each other... Now I don't know where at all my sister is, and it's making me nervous and scared. I hugged my wings tightly to my sides as my ears flattened fully to my neck in my terror as I continued looking around, panicking.