18. The Tusk

Nirya's POV

Hiccup and the Night Fury, Toothless, landed nearby. I learned most of the names of the other dragons and humans from the woman Valka. This village was... almost overwhelming, and I was doing my best to hide it. There are several very tall houses, like extension after extension was added, vibrant colors even I didn't know the names of. Several plants I didn't even know the names of were planted off of people's houses, from hanging wooden bits outside the windows or down on the ground itself. Odd metals of different shades reflected off of the buildings and torches were everywhere, some incased in strange see through material in different colors to cast different shades of light. 

There were so many dragons, it's the real reason I jumped off of Cloudjumper's wing and ran up to Misty. I could see her pupils quivering a little, the first sign of a flashback. She's had them since she was little since the insident... since mother had left the nest to hunt and a rather unfriendly flock of Simmering Slitherers decided to invade the nest while I was learning from the Igloo Colonies, Misty was all alone and those horrible bullies toyed with her, she was old enough to fly around and everything, but not big enough to take on Simmering Slitherers. They... left her with several scars, mother arrived when they were planning to finally kill Misty and she ruthlessly killed every last one of them and dropped their carcasses into the ocean. But Misty... well... she was never quite the same afterwards, a lot more fearful of things, terrified of anything new, and also the flashbacks. I always hate to think on that fact, but it is one I face.

I was afraid loosing her paw and part of her wing, plus seeing mother die, and then I nearly died, has made them much worse for her. This is only proving my fears right, as this was the fourth times in recent weeks I saw the start of a flashback happening with her. I didn't know what else to do, I knew my presence calmed her and often fought them off, especially if I touch her and let her know I am real... but not always.

"Well, Welcome to Berk." Hiccup said in an awkward tone as I smirked under my mask when Astrid elbowed him in the stomach before grinning as she approached.

"How about you join us up at the Great Hall? Dinner is well under way but there should be plenty left, then we can discuss where you can stay and if you want to build you own hut here or anything like that." Astrid said as I grinned.

"I like that idea, I can smell cooking mutton, which, when you live off of fish for a very long time, smells amazing." I said as Astrid laughed and gestured for me to follow. I feel like me and this warrior could become good friends with time. I patted Misty's head, meeting her eyes to make sure the flashback has passed. She gave me one of her odd half grins that more looks like she's grimacing, but I knew it was her best at trying to pull off a human's smile. I stood and walked quickly to catch up with Astrid, Misty stumbling along behind and I heard the heavy footsteps of her two legged dragon.

Astrid tossed her axe onto her shoulder, glancing over at me critically, "So, that hammer, pretty cool design, it look like it's heavy yet it clearly isn't, yet at the same time I bet it deliver's a heavy blow to your enemies." Astrid said as I snorted.

"Ya, I designed it from a specialized metal that takes a lot of time to make, the blueish tinge shows you that it's a finished metal and it take's a ton of work to get it there. The metal of my hammer alone took me three months of work. But it's a little lighter than it looks, I wouldn't say much, but it's since withstood the test of battle many times, it's also dragon proof, in that only Gronckles can destroy the metal. Proved useful many times in calming angry dragons. But yes it's a very handy weapon, and it's light enough I can put quite the swing behind it and knock someone clean across a boat, or off a boat." I said in amusement, thinking of dragon hunters I have done that to.

"Nice, I am surprised you like a War Hammer more than an axe or a sword, though with your build I can understand being able to use a War Hammer. It does look a bit shocking, like you shouldn't be able to lift the hammer." Astrid said as I nodded, grinning as I spoke.