58. The Past

Nirya's POV

I looked up as my sister gracefully spun and twisted up into the clouds, Toothless right on her tail... I closed my eyes and prayed that mother in Valhalla watches over Misty in her first true flight among the skies once more. I was relieved and so happy my eyes felt watery... I refused to let that show though. I opened my eyes and looked up, watching Misty vanish into the clouds above.

"Wow... She flies both like Toothless, and very different as well. It's like she doesn't even try going against the wind currents, just seems to just find the wind currents she's looking for. Never seen a dragon fly like it, like it's effortless." Hiccup said, looking up at the sky as well. I watched as Misty dived through the clouds, pulling off complex twists and turns, spinning and twirling through the air in way that are fun to be a part of... but I much prefer my lunch stay in my stomach, not out of it.

"Wintra said her father was the same, used to say it was like he and the sky were one being. Wintra said it has a little to do with the blood on Misty's side of the family. Misty's father told Wintra when he was alive that he was pretty sure his mother or father was a Titan Wing Frost Fury. After studying Misty... I can believe that being a strong possibility. While Misty doesn't have the size or strongly visible differing characteristics, she does have the larger abundant of spines, her longer ears, claws, and her longer wing claws. Plus, while she's smaller, I've noticed that in comparison from body size to wing size, she has wings that are bigger than her mother's, bigger wing stabilizers, and a larger tailfin. In comparison, she's still smaller than Wintra was. But that could be because Misty is a... mild mix breed of Frost Fury. Her mother, Wintra, was born as a Frost Fury in the far frozen south. But her father was a Frost Fury born into the north. Apparently there were mild differences between the two." I said, watching the skies... but Misty and Toothless didn't reappear, likely having flown out too far for us to see.

"One of Misty's grandparents was a Titan Wing? You know, my mother is quite good at identifying if a dragon has Titan Wing blood. Technically all dragons have Titan Wing blood, or the possibility to be one, but Valka has ways even I don't understand of identifying such things." Hiccup said as I looked at him in confusion.

"I'm curious now. I've lived among dragons my entire life and I never noticed a way to see if a dragon has Titan Wing blood. Learned a lot about dragons, I know how to heal nearly every aliment for dragons, how to tend to and calm even the wildest dragon, and ways best to go ignored by dragons... But nothing on that." I said. Hiccup nodded.

"Well, maybe sometime later Valka can identify if Misty does have some Titan Wing blood. But I'm sure her mother and father in Valhalla are proud to see her back among the skies once more. You did a great job, Nirya." Hiccup said, patting my shoulder as he walked over to Astrid, both of them walking away with Hiccup throwing an arm over Astrid's shoulder.

I continued to stare up at the skies as I stuck my hand in the pocket of my armor, running my thumb over the tiny beaten up hammer as my heart both felt elated at Wintra likely being very proud of both me and Misty in Valhalla... But yet I wondered if the one parent I remember singing is proud of me...

I shook my head away from such thoughts, it no longer matters, they are long gone. They may not have even been singing to me... and I am angry that a tiny part of me wishes that singing was for me, that one of my biological parents actually cared.

"Well, I got to get back to my hut, could you come by my hut sometime to speak with Skullcrusher again? He's chewing on the wood support beams even worse now, and he didn't hang around very long with the other dragons today before returning to the hut. I'm worried for him." Eret said, pulling me from darker thoughts as I looked at him, thinking. Well, I won't have tea with Valka till later... I guess I can go over there now, we will be going by my hut so I can get the few things I prepared to help Skullcrusher's nervous habit.