~ T W E N T Y - E I G H T ~

"Lilith, dear, where are you going?" Lilith was standing in front of the Manor's entrance with her handbag in hand and her wand in the waistband of her skirt.

"Oh, Narcissa, hi! I'm just going out to do some shopping," Lilith smiled.

"But the ball is in a couple of hours. You should go get ready," Narcissa walked closer to Lilith, her elegant footsteps almost making no noise.

"Yeah, that's why I'm going out. I have to go get a dress. My mother was going to give me one but I don't think I'd want to wear it," Lilith scratched the back of neck nervously.

"Come with me, dear."

"Oh. I'm sorry, but if I want to get a dress in time I have to leave now."

"No worries. Come with me. It'll take less than five minutes, I assure you."

Lilith looked at the door and then back to Narcissa, "Of course."

Narcissa led Lilith and her to the sitting room, "Winky, dear," she called out. The elf appeared in less than a second next to the two witches and Narcissa leaned to the elf's level to whisper something. The elf nodded and snapped its fingers to disappear.

Lilith furrowed her brows in confusion, "Narcissa, if I may be so curious..."

"Yes, dear?" Narcissa sat down on the armchair and Lilith took a seat on the couch across from her.

"Why did Mister Malfoy give Winky four galleons during our last dinner?"

"Oh!" Narcissa chuckled, "Lucius pays the elves every night for their work."

"He pays them?"

"Yes, they are free elves but they don't want to leave. They want to stay here and offer their help, but Lucius also doesn't want to be cruel and leave them without a place to stay or without any belongings of their own."

"What are their names?"

"Winky, Hokey, and Tweacher."

"Why do they still wear their uniforms?"

"Oh, they refuse to change. They use the money Lucius gives them to buy things for the kitchen, decorations for the house, new food, and stuff like that. Lucius tries to give them more money so they can buy things for themselves but they don't take it."

"I see. I think that's very kind of you. They deserve more freedom and happiness than what the world offers them. I hope Blemmy can adjust to them."

"I could not agree more, dear. And yes, I hope for that too. Blemmy would make a nice addition to their family and to ours as well," Narcissa smiled endearingly at Lilith. Winky, Blemmy, and the two other elves appeared carrying a big white box. "Set it down there, dears," she gestured to the table in the center. The elves nodded and set the box down.

"Winky, Blemmy, Tweacher, and Hokey, could you please come here?" Lilith asked. The elves walked over to Lilith, their eyes on the ground as they avoided eye contact with their guest. Lilith kissed the top of Blemmy's head and caressed Winky's arm. She turned to the other two, "Hi. I'm Lilith Jones but, please, call me Lily." The elves smiled and blushed at her, "Thank you for taking care of Maya," she kissed their cheeks.

"Miss doesn't need to thank us. We are happy with Maya," Winky smiled at her and turned to other three elves before they snapped their fingers and left.

Lilith and Narcissa chuckled. "Dear, come here." Narcissa stood up and walked towards the table. "Close your eyes." Lilith stood up and closed her eyes. She heard the box opening and some rustling could be heard, "Open them."

Lilith gasped as her eyes scanned the beauty before her. Narcissa had pulled out a gorgeous strapless black lace gown with small beadings around the torso. The gown had a corset laced-up back, which added more of a figure to the body of the person who wore it.

"I wore it years ago when I was around your age. I'm glad I saved it."

"Narcissa, this is so beautiful. I can't stop staring at it," Lilith chuckled, running her hands down the dress.

"Good. I'm relieved you said that, Lilith, because it's yours now."

Lilith snapped her eyes to Narcissa's, "Oh no, I can't. This is too precious for me to wear."

"Nonsense," Narcissa waved her off, "It would look amazing on you. It's about time this dress got a breather anyways. Besides, it would make me very happy if you would wear it."

"I— are you sure?"

"Yes, of course! Please," Narcissa extended the dress for Lilith to take.

"Thank you so much! It's an honor," Lilith grabbed the dress and hugged Narcissa.

"No need to thank me, dear. Now go get ready! Tonight is going to be a long night."